forte II w/ A-55G Mids?

jjptkd

Had these laying around and thought what the heck, might as well try them out. Initial impressions are that they sound different, haven't had a lot of time with them yet. I'll post impressions after a little more break in time and critical listening have taken place.

20161103_120622.jpg

The k-61 is the original forte II mid horn and driver, the other horn is a pro model variant of the same horn that came stock with a 2" titanium driver. I believe the KP-301 II had this horn amongst a few others.

Yep, just did a straight swap changing only the mid horns and drivers. I actually got the idea from the Crites website where in his advertisement for the A-55g he states that the driver would be a suitable replacement for the KLF-30. That got me thinking because the 30 and forte II share the same mid diaphragm.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/k-55-replacement-the-new-a.html

From the website:

K-55 Replacement.  The New A-55G Driver

This new driver can be used to replace the Klipsch K-55X, K-55V, K-55M, K-51V and also the midrange drivers for the KLF-20 and KLF-30.  Can also be used to replace the K-57H drivers that have the 1 3/8 thread.

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Don't let the Wicked Bonehead of the South see this one.....

I don't care what anyone says, that there is funny...

Seriously, would you upgrade to these drivers if you already had the dual phase plug K55V drivers?

Mark

15 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Oh-Oh Toto, I don't think we're in Klipschville anymore. :ph34r:

Are both horns Tractrix? 

Seems like an interesting experiment. 

Mark

Yes, both horns are Tractrix. The k-61 is original, the new horn is from a pro series Klipsch, not sure of the part number for the horn off hand.

kp301ii pair.png

kp301ii.jpg

19 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Seriously, would you upgrade to these drivers if you already had the dual phase plug K55V drivers?

Mark

Nope, IMHO, not worth the time, or additional expense, and I would imagine not a significant discernable delta.

If you have the chance and can find the part number for the horns, I'd like to know. I have a pair of Forte II's stored away and would like to try this mod. I'm thinking it would really make the midrange much better. 

And it it would give me an excuse to try the new K55G from BC in my La Scalas. 

Mark

Just now, jimjimbo said:

Nope, IMHO, not worth the time, or additional expense, and I would imagine not a significant discernable delta.

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your directness. 

Listening to to my La Scalas right now and would be very surprised to be able to make them better.

Mark

I imagine swapping these in place of the dual soldered lug drivers in a la scala may not be any noticeable difference at all unless of course one of them is blown, kind of like the Crites mid driver replacements for the forte etc but this experiment is swapping the stock 1.5 inch mid diaphragm / driver for the 2" heritage style driver.  

10 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your directness. 

Listening to to my La Scalas right now and would be very surprised to be able to make them better.

Mark

I've got 55v dual phase in mine as well, and what did make a very nice difference was the Crites CT-120 tweets.  Blended very well with the mids, and are very smooth, not harsh at all.  I'm really really happy with my La Scala's right now.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I've got 55v dual phase in mine as well, and what did make a very nice difference was the Crites CT-120 tweets.  Blended very well with the mids, and are very smooth, not harsh at all.  I'm really really happy with my La Scala's right now.

I have the ALK/Fastrac version of those tweeters (same driver different horn) in mine. Also have the Fastrac La Scala horns.

Oh, and I just had to try them, ALK extreme slope x-overs. 

Mark