50-60Hz hum in my system

jason str

12 hours ago, Fala7er said:

UPDATE: Well after a while i took my chances with an isolator transformer 500VA (in my case) 220v to 220v and the ground loop is finally gone for good.

On another note, using the ground loop isolator absolutly kills the quality on the audio, tested with/without and oh boy... better to have a bulky transformer somewhere than using that thing.

Poor quality transformer then.  You shouldn't hear a difference.   

• 3 weeks later...

Issue Identified with Klipsch R-112SW, brand new, out of the box, 1 week ago. Stored since I bought brand new.

After troubleshooting for 2 days, I have successfully eliminated Klipsch hum, this looks to be due to Klipsch poor manufacturing process.

The LINE and the NEUTRAL are REVERSED inside the subwoofer ,on the plate amplifier , connecting your power cord to the power supply through the D-Sub connector. The connection on the D-sub is correct, The WHITE WIRE is NEUTRAL! (N), The BLACK WIRE is LINE (L).

However, Klipsch Manufacturing connected the NEUTRAL WHITE WIRE to the (L) input on the amplifier, and also connected the LINE BLACK WIRE to the (N) on plate amplifier. THIS IS INCORRECT. This is REVERSED.

I corrected this, NEUTRAL WHITE WIRE to the (N), LINE BLACK WIRE to the (L), guess what, voila, no more hum!!!

Use solution at your own risk.

IMHO, Klipsch, Fix your manufacturing in China. Do an onsite, take a look. Correct the process. Perform a recall. Get it resolved. Thanks

Klipsch - Incorrect.jpg

Edited by sirjaymz

I end up buying the ISO-MAX it worked right away ! Also I end up changing  the receiver to a 

Marantz sr 7012 ! It sounds great but I still use the ISO-Max on my second Sub !

FADEB263-80CD-4710-83F6-A26A6FF725DA.jpeg.de57035af2be2da722b10181056faa5c.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, 

I also have a low-frequency hum coming from my subwoofer. It increases as I turn up the gain as well. I tried a bunch of different things but can't seem to get rid of it. The Hum happens no matter what I do. The only time it is not an issue is when the cable is not plugged into the LFE input. I thought it may be a ground loop issue but can't seem to get rid of it. 

My Audio Setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 -> Klipsch 5.1.2 | RP-250F | RP-250C | RP-150M | RP-140SA | R-112SW

• No Hum - Powered off, other components on
  • No Hum - LFE Remove Cable and power on
  • Hum - LFE Cable inserted
  • Hum - LFE Cable rerouted so it is not near any other power cables or signal cables.
  • Hum - Changed LFE Cable
  • Hum - Added in a Blue Jeans Subwoofer Isolation Transformer between Sub and AVR
  • Hum - Changed power cable
  • Hum - Plugged Sub directly into the wall outlet
  • Hum - Plugged Sub into power conditioner with other components
  • Hum - Removed all HDMI and Optical Inputs from the AVR
  • Hum - Changed Subwoofer Plate Amp (RMA from Klipsch)

14 minutes ago, Drewski said:

I'm having a hard time finding a Jensen TA-R1 online. Would the isolator purchased do the same thing? 

https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Eliminator-Blue-Jeans-Cable/dp/B00GG1PK5W

I thought you already stated that this did not solve the problem. It will not do the same thing. The dummy plugs are for testing to figure out what exactly the problem is. The TA-R1 is not exactly how Jensen makes its money at $10 a pop, so maybe calling them is the only way to get some. Or you can make your own, but the parts will probably cost more than $10.

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

I thought you already stated that this did not solve the problem. It will not do the same thing. The dummy plugs are for testing to figure out what exactly the problem is. The TA-R1 is not exactly how Jensen makes its money at $10 a pop, so maybe calling them is the only way to get some. Or you can make your own, but the parts will probably cost more than $10.

Yup, it didn't work. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not chasing the wrong thing. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to doing the subwoofer crawl to try and locate my two 10SWs. Doing so I noticed a hum from both subs.
There's no cable box up here in the media room and all are located downstairs. Would that matter?

The hum is present without audio input. I've unplugged the AVR and projector as well as the other sub to see if it's anything in the media room that might cause it but the hum is still present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, King Kong said:

I finally got around to doing the subwoofer crawl to try and locate my two 10SWs. Doing so I noticed a hum from both subs.
There's no cable box up here in the media room and all are located downstairs. Would that matter?

The hum is present without audio input. I've unplugged the AVR and projector as well as the other sub to see if it's anything in the media room that might cause it but the hum is still present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Does it do it with the input cable removed from the plate amp?