50-60Hz hum in my system

jason str

Had the same issue, the hum going through the sub.  After checking all connections, one by one, to see which was causing it, I found that it was the cable wire.  Unplugged it, no hum, plug it in, hum.  Bought one of these to run between the wall plate and the box.  Works great, no problem since.  Just under $30 with shipping from Amazon.

CISP-2.jpg.5cfb44dd2124336c32b1a2278a77edf7.jpg

• 3 months later...

Oh im dealing with this... using the R112SW connected to a PC with a Xonar audio card using a 5.1 configuration, if i ground the PC then i get the Hum, but if i ground the PC and connect the Sub. on my UPS running with batteries only it works fine. WHY!?. Everything else run fine if grounded.

5 hours ago, Fala7er said:

Oh im dealing with this... using the R112SW connected to a PC with a Xonar audio card using a 5.1 configuration, if i ground the PC then i get the Hum, but if i ground the PC and connect the Sub. on my UPS running with batteries only it works fine. WHY!?. Everything else run fine if grounded.

When running off batteries there is no 60 Hz, so no hum. The underlying problem MAY still be present but we can't hear DC:)

19 hours ago, babadono said:

When running off batteries there is no 60 Hz, so no hum. The underlying problem MAY still be present but we can't hear DC:)

After many tests:

a) Sub only with power cord = Silence.

b) Sub with one RCA connected (and the other parts of the cables not connected to anything) = A very low hum can be heard, some lower quality rca cables makes this sound louder.

c) Sub with PC connected with RCA = same as b)

d) Sub with PC (grounded) connected with RCA = loud hum

e) Sub (grounded using the chassis screw) with PC (grounded) + ground loop isolator = silence

e) Looks like the perfect solution but im searching about the quality degradation using one of this isolators. I have this one that i bough some time ago:

BOSS B-25N

20180529_193252.jpg.91a9635c60d389d7960f2a172096498a.jpg

c) Works fine and i can barely hear the hum having the sub close to me and no need of isolator, BUT everything is not grounded, since the Xonar only use RCA connectors as soon as i ground anything we have a Hum.

I'm also searching for a transformer isolator to run everything grounded without problems, but is an expensive solution. Any advice?.

Check and see if the hum is being caused by your cable or satellite coax by leaving everything hooked up and disconnect it. If so rca ground loop isolator will help somewhat but you will lose bass output. You would need a ground loop isolator in line with the coax which does work with no degradation in sound. 

Just now, nitrofan said:

Sorry I may have misunderstood your setup. Only using pc as source? 

Only source is PC, and everything was tested without any other device connected (power cord unplugged). Using the ground loop isolator is my only choice if i want to have everything grounded. I will need to test the bass quality with and without it, uhg.. slow and painful.

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

If you want the best quality isolator that money can buy it's simple: Go to Jensen Transformer and get an ISO MAX.

No Affiliation, other than I know their stuff is good.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-1rr/

I will have to import that device to my country, there's nothing similar to buy here, for now a Transformer Isolator (220v) seems to be the only choice.

I just looked at the back of a R112SW. The power cord has no Ground? Is this true or is it an old picture and Klipsch has since modified? So how can this be a ground loop? Sounds more like CIC. Just get a good quality isolator and fughetaboutdit.

13 minutes ago, babadono said:

I just looked at the back of a R112SW. The power cord has no Ground? Is this true or is it an old picture and Klipsch has since modified? So how can this be a ground loop? Sounds more like CIC. Just get a good quality isolator and fughetaboutdit.

It doesn't have the 3rd pin. When i ground the PC i also need to ground the sub. (using a screw on the back) for the -ground isolator- to work, otherwise it wont work, why this happens.. no idea.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Well after a while i took my chances with an isolator transformer 500VA (in my case) 220v to 220v and the ground loop is finally gone for good.

On another note, using the ground loop isolator absolutly kills the quality on the audio, tested with/without and oh boy... better to have a bulky transformer somewhere than using that thing.