Recommendation about which speaker to use

pat_in_dfw

I have a job with a fairly large conference center (100' x 100') where the consultant designed the system with ceiling speakers.  It has been installed per the consultant design and the end user isn't happy with it.  The problem is that the ceiling is very high (25') and the dispersion of the speakers at that height is such that it is feeding back sound right into the microphones on the stage.  We are not able to get enough microphone gain into the speakers without going into feedback.  

I proposed a solution using surface mounted "box" style speakers that could be mounted on the ceiling in front of the stage aiming toward the back of the room.  With the speakers being directional there should be very little sound coming back to the stage.  I need a throw of around 80' to get to the back of the room.  I intend to use the speakers for speech only.  I have 2 channels at 250w 70v each available.  I want to have a wide horizontal dispersion to cover the room but a narrow vertical dispersion to prevent sound coming back onto the stage.

My question is this - what speakers should I use?  We are new Klipsch Pro dealers and I'm not as familiar with Klipsch speakers as other brands. I'm considering the KI-102-T-SMA-II or the CA-800T.  Both have a 60w tap.  There is a fairly substantial price difference between the two with the KI-102 being much more expensive.  What are the factors that might cause one speaker to work better vs the other.  Which would be the better choise?

Klipsch CA-800-T-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Klipsch KI-102-SMA-II-Data-Sheet-v08.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I sent Roy the drawing and never got a response.  I had to get a quote turned in so I ended up going with the TOA HS1200WT.  I wanted to go with something Klipsch, but I didn't get a response back from Roy and I've never used the speakers I was thinking about personally so I was hesitant to use them in a design.

The comparison between the TOA and the CA-800-T was very close in almost all aspects.  Compared to the CA-800-T which has a 90°x90° dispersion pattern, the TOA was limited to 40° vertical.  For my use this was good because we wanted to keep sound away from the stage and the limited vertical dispersion would help limit any sound coming back to the stage. The TOA has higher power handling if we decided to use it at 8 ohms instead of 70v.

The client hasn't approved it yet - it's a school so it could take months for them to review.  

• Moderators
On 12/22/2016 at 6:21 PM, pat_in_dfw said:

I sent Roy the drawing and never got a response.  I had to get a quote turned in so I ended up going with the TOA HS1200WT.  I wanted to go with something Klipsch, but I didn't get a response back from Roy and I've never used the speakers I was thinking about personally so I was hesitant to use them in a design.

The comparison between the TOA and the CA-800-T was very close in almost all aspects.  Compared to the CA-800-T which has a 90°x90° dispersion pattern, the TOA was limited to 40° vertical.  For my use this was good because we wanted to keep sound away from the stage and the limited vertical dispersion would help limit any sound coming back to the stage. The TOA has higher power handling if we decided to use it at 8 ohms instead of 70v.

The client hasn't approved it yet - it's a school so it could take months for them to review.  

Sometimes @Chief bonehead can get pretty busy.  He will usually respond within a day or two unless he is out of the country, on a project, etc.

Maybe y'all can still connect so that if something comes up in the future you are both on the same page.

Travis

• 2 weeks later...