System On a Chip (SOC) Thread

Quiet_Hollow

Starting a thread exclusively for those interested in discussing SOC (aka "chip" or digitally driven H bridge) amplifiers. Often the topic of solid state thread wars due to their extraordinarily rich sound when processing native PCM or I2S, when in-fact they bear no resemblance to their analog-driven, yet silicon derived brethren.

I'm no expert in the design specifics, but I've got some eye-candy to kick it all off with:

Vintage game-changer, turn-of-the-millennium Apogee DDX

DDX2060.jpg

...to be continued

On 11/7/2016 at 2:54 PM, CECAA850 said:

This is an amp and DAC in one?

From a hardware POV, not really, because there's no discrete D/A stage, nor is there a discrete amplifier in the classical sense. I've often seen these referred to as a Power DAC, and justifiably so.

A typical component DAC's sole purpose is to drive an analog input stage. Where in the case of the type above, the analog input stage is the speaker itself and the resultant audible signal cannot exist independently of the complete output filter network.

However....from an end-user POV, arguably yes. Plug it into the wall, digital signal goes in one end, and audio comes out the other.....about enough to fill an entire living room. :emotion-21:

• 1 month later...