RF82II vs. RP280F, etc.

jdmccall

Hi Everyone!  I used to hang out here a few years ago as jdm56.  I've been gone about seven years while running Bose 901's. :o  I'm in the process of selling the 901's and the rest of the system (NAD) I had put together around them.  I'm looking to replace the 901's with some affordable towers that will be driven with an older Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX55TXi).  The RF82 II's look very tempting at their current price of $360/ea. but I have also been looking at Tekton Enzo's, PSB Imagine X2T's, Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7's and Klipsch RP280F's.  Getting out to hear speakers is not really practical for me right now as I'm on crutches, so I'd like a little guidance here! :) If anyone here has heard any of the speakers I mentioned, especially the RF82 II's and the RP280F's, I would love to hear your takes on them; especially relative to each other.  I am wanting a big, lively sound, maybe with a rising top end to counter my falling top end. :huh: An easy to drive 8 Ohm load combined with good sensitivity will be desired since I'll be using an AVR to drive them.  ...Another option would be a used pair of cornwalls, but I'm very picky and finding the quality I want at the price I want could be challenging to say the least...plus, I owned corns from '85 to '93, so...been there/done that!   Thanks in advance!

The 280's had been discounted from $600/ea. down to, I think $480/ea. on Crutchfield, but they're back at $600 now.  I'll do some more price shopping on them.

One concern:  When I had a brief (9 month) fling with a pair of LS2's, one characteristic that I really did not like was that the imaging was so focused that you could scarcely move your head to the left or right w/o the imaging falling apart.  I never really experienced this when I had corns and k-horns.  Do the Reference speakers have this trait to any degree?

Thanks for the help there, Grizzog.  I placed an order with Klipsch on 11/7 for a pair of RF82 II's.  They were the best deal going on the net that could find.  It'll be good to have some big ol' Klipsch in the house again.  Not Heritage, but hopefully I will like them.  I think I will!  They should be easier (than Heritage) to accommodate anyway...but I'll probably still keep an eye out for a nice, clean pair of cornwalls close to me.  As for my 901's...man, I'm having trouble thinking about selling them.  I will go ahead and sell the rest of the NAD stuff I used with them, though (C 165BEE and C 275BEE).  I've already sold the tuner and CD player.  I've got an old Akai integrated I could drive them with for now...until something better comes along or I decide to let'em go.

11 minutes ago, jdmccall said:

I will go ahead and sell the rest of the NAD stuff I used with them, though (C 165BEE and C 275BEE).

Welcome back jdmcall, aka jdm56.

Unless you are freeing up some $$$ or going HT in the future with this rig, I would keep the NAD combo.  That pairing should sound great with your soon to be RF-82II's.

Bill

4 hours ago, willland said:

Welcome back jdmcall, aka jdm56.

Unless you are freeing up some $$$ or going HT in the future with this rig, I would keep the NAD combo.  That pairing should sound great with your soon to be RF-82II's.

Bill

I second that. My NAD equipment sounds great with all my Klipsch!

Thanks for the kindly welcome-back, guys!  I appreciate that.

I love the NAD gear and do hate to part with it, but I really need to sell...something!  The CD player and tuner's gone and the pre has been listed and the amp is next.  I'll do well to hang on to the 901's!  On the other hand, If the RF82 II's work out well enough -to the point that I seldom listen to the 901's- then the Bose will go down the road, too. 

Another vote here for the 280's.  I've had mine for over a year now.  I listen to classic rock, jazz, and classical for the most part.  I've got them set up in a 2 channel setting, no subwoofer, and frankly, none needed in my opinion.  I chose these over some of the comparable Klipsch models because of the new tweeter surround.  It takes just the slightest bit of edge off of the high frequencies.  I believe this change was user motivated because of many using a putty modification to achieve the same result.  Doesn't take much power to drive 'em, and they sound great at most normal volume levels.  I've never cranked 'em to the max because that's not me.  But my normal volume levels are fairly loud.  Glad I'm in a house and not an apartment!  The detail is very good, but probably not Cornwall good.  In short, best speakers I've ever owned.  

Glad you like your 280's.  They are beautiful speakers for sure. 

My RF82 II's (yup, I bought 'em) are also used for stereo only, although I do use a pair of 12" Velodyne DLS4000R subs with them.  I don't know that they need the subs, but I already had 'em and they do seem to warm up the sound...not that that is necessarily better...but I think I like it. 

My top octave hearing is pretty much gone, so maybe I need some edge on my high frequencies...or at least, I may be immune to it.

I also agree ("detail is very good, but probably not cornwall good").  I owned cornwalls for eight years.  Compared to them, I would say the RF82 II's are...smoother and more extended, but less dynamic and detailed.  Plus, the corns I had were a gorgeous oak oil finish...my black vinyl RF's can't really compare.  Of course, you generally pay dearly these days for that furniture-grade wood finish.