HELP! Samsung 59" Plasma Took A Dump

willland

About a month ago, my 4.5 year old Samsung PN59D6500 plasma SMART TV decided it wanted to not stay powered on.  It powers on(not completely) for about 8 seconds and then powers off for about 3 seconds and then starts the cycle over and over again until I unplug it.:(  

I called BB GS and had them come out($99.00) and diagnose the problem which the tech determined that it may be the power supply board which has been the case in most of these type of problems with 2009 to 2012 Samsung SMART TVs.  The very professional, kind, and seemed very knowledgeable tech Heather ordered the part and we scheduled another time for the repair.

Heather came out about 2 weeks ago and proceeded to switch out the PS board and low and behold, it did not correct the problem.  She was very bummed about it(so was I) proceeded to order the main board which has been the culprit in some of these type of problems but they have been few and far between.

Riley(new tech) came by about a week later to do the repair and realized when he opened the box that they had sent another PS board instead of the main board.  He was very puzzled and also apologetic.  He then read the packing slip and it said that (1) PS board shipped and (1) main board discontinued.:(  Planned obsolescence at it's best.:angry2:

Let me make this very clear, this is not a bash at all on Geek Squad, they were professional and very forthright in explaining their protocol and prices.  Since they could not repair my TV, they sent me a 10% off coupon towards another TV.  

Now to my question.

If I decide not to attempt anymore to get the TV repaired, I will buy another to replace it.

Here are a couple of deals that I have access to through my employee buying program(Perks At Work).

Samsung UN65KS9000----MSRP $4499.99----Best Buy sale price $2199.98(plus 7% sales tax) = $2353.98----My PAW price out the door(no sales tax) with shipping $1674.99

65” Class KS9000 9-Series 4K SUHD TV  

Samsung UN65KS8000----MSRP $3499.99----Best Buy sale price $1699.99(plus 7% sales tax) = $1818.99----My PAW price out the door(no sales tax) with shipping $1279.99

65” Class KS8000 8-Series 4K SUHD TV

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  No other brands than Samsung are offered through the buying program.

Thanks,

Bill

If a tech diagnoses a problem and their replacement part doesn't work, it means they were guessing.  :angry:  I would not take a 10% coupon on a new TV, are you kidding me?  That is totally self-serving for incompetent repair service.  :angry::angry:

+++

I was at Sam's Club today.  Saw a 75" Samsung M model for $2000.  The Samsung 70" M was $1950.

+++

Be aware that this is now what is being called "Black Friday MONTH."  I suggest you look for a Black Friday deal, but stay away from stripped down TV's made just for Black Friday.

Month.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If a tech diagnoses a problem and their replacement part doesn't work, it means they were guessing.  :angry:  I would not take a 10% coupon on a new TV, are you kidding me?  That is totally self-serving for incompetent repair service.  :angry::angry:

Hold on a minute.  I appreciate your passion and support but I can't rip them to shreds like that.  These guys/girls with Geek Squad are parts replacers not volt meter test every circuit, capacitor, diode, etc. and soldering kind of folks.  They are similar, but not the same(not near as much training) as your average auto tech at the dealership who are guessers and parts replacers also a good bit of the time.  I did some research online before I called anyone and figured the most likely culprit was the PS board also since it was in most of the cases with the big Samsung class action lawsuit that was settled in 2012.  I am going to call on a local repair tech and see what they can do before I give up.

Bill

For a few hundred more than that pricing you can get an LG 65" oled... with true hdr its a better imho.

Otherwise save some money and go to costco or amazon and getter pricing as there are many large format choices in the sub $2,000 category.

Ive got a samsung plasma that has a similar issue... every few months I need to take the back off and replace the main power fuse... probably due to a failing power supply... but the monitor still works.

32 minutes ago, Schu said:

For a few hundred more than that pricing you can get an LG 65" oled... with true hdr its a better imho.

I get that but not wanting to spend anywhere near $3000.00.

32 minutes ago, Schu said:

Otherwise save some money and go to costco or amazon and getter pricing as there are many large format choices in the sub $2,000 category.

I have priced these two TV's, and similar models from other mfr's, just about everywhere and nowhere could I find prices even close to what I can get them for through my company buying program.  

Bill

Wonder if one of those craigslist dudes that fix broken TV's as they claim could fix it. The right one with enough experience.

Just saying. Would be nice to find a board on e-bay for a song. Alright, I'll stop. Almost seems unacceptable to me that a

set that newish has no remedy. Thanks!

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Wonder if one of those craigslist dudes that fix broken TV's as they claim could fix it. The right one with enough experience.

Just saying. Would be nice to find a board on e-bay for a song. Alright, I'll stop. Almost seems unacceptable to me that a

set that newish has no remedy. Thanks!

My thought exactly.  There are a few local folks who may be able to diagnose the culprit and get the part/parts or repair existing part/parts for much less than I could buy new.  I would spend $300.00 to $400.00 to get my plasma repaired.

Bill

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Rtings.com does a great job explaining the pros and cons of each model.  get the best one u can afford with the discount.

Yes I read those reviews and they are very detailed and informative.

Bill

14 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Rtings.com does a great job explaining the pros and cons of each model.  get the best one u can afford with the discount.   I would call Samsung first about old tv.  

Spot on...not like Samsung could not use some good PR nowadays. Maybe OP will have a good conversation with the right person.

Sorry to hear your screen took a dump Bill. I remember you sharing with us on the forum when you got it, and I was stoked for you because I was also looking to get a plasma at the time. The models you mentioned at the prices you are able to get them at sound great. As always its tough to be the PQ of a plasma screen. I think OLED has gotten there, but has some of its own issues. However, the new LED Sammy's you mentioned do come with some modern conveniences. Faster processor for Smart features, better overall software, and ease of use. I currently have a mid-tier Samsung for my den the S7000 series and I have to say it looks great. The colors are bright and vivid, and the image just pops off the screen. I would imagine the models you are looking at will be even nicer. I still think my Panasonic plasma has the better overall PQ but at the end of the day its not enough to take away from me enjoying watching something on the Samsung LED.

I highly, highly recommend NOT getting the KS8000. I have seen a lot of problems with judder and motion artifacts with the set... some fixable, some not.

The KS9000 is considerably better in motion handling in all aspects. I can't imagine you'd be happy with the KS8000 coming from a nice plasma. Most 4k LCD's still have a lot of problems with motion handling, not doubt due to the massive computational power needed to handle the large data stream.

Even though the KS9000 is quite good (I'm strongly considering getting one myself), I'm tempted to delay until they get Dolby Vision (undoubtedly will be coming in 2017).

That, or hope that next year LG will get their shit together and improve motion processing and upscaling on their OLED's. It's looking like, with the latest price drop on OLED's before the Black Friday prices come out, that OLED's will be right in line price-wise with Samsung's 9000/9500's and a little lower than the 9800.

I have a friend who's in the market for a new TV. Since he's averse to doing research before a purchase, I did the Consumer Reports thang for him.

I just happen to have their November 2015 TV review issue in front of me.

If you trust Consumer Reports (I do), and it appears you're looking at 65" TVs, here are their top 3 rated models in that size category.

1. Samsung UN65JS9500, $4500

2. Sony Bravia XBR-65X930C, $4000

3. Samsung UN65JS9000, $3500

Here are their Best Buys in that category (price to performance)

1. Samsung UN60JU6500, $1600

2. LG 60UF7700, $1600

3. Samsung UN65J6300, $1600

3 hours ago, KeepItKlipsch said:

I highly, highly recommend NOT getting the KS8000. I have seen a lot of problems with judder and motion artifacts with the set... some fixable, some not.

Thanks for the warning.

The KS9000 is considerably better in motion handling in all aspects.

I am leaning that way.

I can't imagine you'd be happy with the KS8000 coming from a nice plasma. Most 4k LCD's still have a lot of problems with motion handling

My plasma was not perfect in that area but better than most LED lit LCD's.

8 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

2. Sony Bravia XBR-65X930C, $4000

I really like the Sony 930 but unfortunately my company does not have an employee buying program with them.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:26 AM, Shodrewken said:

I still think my Panasonic plasma has the better overall PQ but at the end of the day its not enough to take away from me enjoying watching something on the Samsung LED.

Well that is comforting, thanks.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Bill