HELP! Samsung 59" Plasma Took A Dump

willland

I bought the Samsung KS9500 few weeks ago on blackfriday sale. KS9500 is just the curved version of KS9000. Just like you, I am coming from a plasma before too. I prefered plasmas over LCD because of deeper blacks, no white bleeding and no motion jaggyness. I figured Id try the new and improved LCD tech and hoped all of the before mentioned issues would be fixed. 

Boy was I wrong. The picture still looks videogame like to me from scene to scene. White bleeding is still there and blacks are terrible in movies. My wife doesnt care and got use to it within a week but I still hate it.

I went to BB few days ago and ended up paying another grand for the 65 LG curved OLED. The sales guy told me that the LG OLEDs have a "plasma mode." Im returning the samsung and the new OLED will be delivered tomorrow :)

Edited by MiSoProh

36 minutes ago, MiSoProh said:

I bought the Samsung KS9500 few weeks ago on blackfriday sale. KS9500 is just the curved version of KS9000. Just like you, I am coming from a plasma before too. I prefered plasmas over LCD because of deeper blacks, no white bleeding and no motion jaggyness. I figured Id try the new and improved LCD tech and hoped all of the before mentioned issues would be fixed. 

Boy was I wrong. The picture still looks videogame like to me from scene to scene. White bleeding is still there and blacks are terrible in movies. My wife doesnt care and got use to it within a week but I still hate it.

I went to BB few days ago and ended up paying another grand for the 65 LG curved OLED. The sales guy told me that the LG OLEDs have a "plasma mode." Im returning the samsung and the new OLED will be delivered tomorrow :)

If the LG doesn't satisfy you look for a lightly used 60" Pioneer Elite Plasma flat screen TV or Monitor. The best picture I've seen on a TV including 4K.

34 minutes ago, MiSoProh said:

I bought the Samsung KS9500 few weeks ago on blackfriday sale.

35 minutes ago, MiSoProh said:

Just like you, I am coming from a plasma before too. I prefered plasmas over LCD because of deeper blacks, no white bleeding and no motion jaggyness. I figured Id try the new and improved LCD tech and hoped all of the before mentioned issues would be fixed. 

35 minutes ago, MiSoProh said:

Boy was I wrong. The picture still looks videogame like to me from scene to scene. White bleeding is still there and blacks are terrible in movies.

Sorry to hear that.:( I have not experienced any of these things not even a little bit.:D  I am far more impressed than I ever expected.  From what I have read, it does seem that panel quality consistency is a hit and miss with these new Samsung UHD/SUHD TVs.  It seems you may have gotten a "bad" one and I am fortunate(so far) to have received a "good" one.:unsure:

40 minutes ago, MiSoProh said:

I went to BB few days ago and ended up paying another grand for the 65 LG curved OLED.

I hope the new LG OLED will meet all of your expectations and worth all you time and effort(and $$$).

Bill

4 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

If the LG doesn't satisfy you look for a lightly used 60" Pioneer Elite Plasma flat screen TV or Monitor. The best picture I've seen on a TV including 4K.

Good luck finding a used KURO.  Those of us that have one aren't letting go.

• 2 years later...
On 11/5/2016 at 6:34 PM, willland said:

About a month ago, my 4.5 year old Samsung PN59D6500 plasma SMART TV decided it wanted to not stay powered on.  It powers on(not completely) for about 8 seconds and then powers off for about 3 seconds and then starts the cycle over and over again until I unplug it.:(  

I called BB GS and had them come out($99.00) and diagnose the problem which the tech determined that it may be the power supply board which has been the case in most of these type of problems with 2009 to 2012 Samsung SMART TVs.  The very professional, kind, and seemed very knowledgeable tech Heather ordered the part and we scheduled another time for the repair.

Heather came out about 2 weeks ago and proceeded to switch out the PS board and low and behold, it did not correct the problem.  She was very bummed about it(so was I) proceed to order the main board which has been the culprit in some of these type of problems but they have been few and far between.

Riley(new tech) came by about a week later to do the repair and realized when he opened the box that they had sent another PS board instead of the main board.  He was very puzzled and also apologetic.  He then read the packing slip and it said that (1) PS board shipped and (1) main board discontinued.:(  Planned obsolescence at it's best.:angry2:

Let me make this very clear, this is not a bash at all on Geek Squad, they were professional and very forthright in explaining their protocol and prices.  Since they could not repair my TV, they sent me a 10% off coupon towards another TV.  

Now to my question.

If I decide not to attempt anymore to get the TV repaired, I will buy another to replace it.

Here are a couple of deals that I have access to through my employee buying program(Perks At Work).

Samsung UN65KS9000----MSRP $4499.99----Best Buy sale price $2199.98(plus 7% sales tax) = $2353.98----My PAW price out the door(no sales tax) with shipping $1674.99

65” Class KS9000 9-Series 4K SUHD TV  

Samsung UN65KS8000----MSRP $3499.99----Best Buy sale price $1699.99(plus 7% sales tax) = $1818.99----My PAW price out the door(no sales tax) with shipping $1279.99

65” Class KS8000 8-Series 4K SUHD TV

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  No other brands than Samsung are offered through the buying program.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi I have the same tv with the same problem. It has me very upset with samsung. They know this tv has this problem and instead of them making tons of this part they stop making it and so when you find one its triple the price. When I call Samsung they act like they are not aware of this problem witch makes me even more frustrated cause they very well have people reading the internet checking to see what is said about them. I just have to say samsung has great technology but terrible quality. I am going back to sony the next time I can afford to get a tv witch will be not in the near future. So I will be going with out cause i can only make a large purchase like that every decade. Not every 3 years. God bless samsung. GO SONY EVERYONE

I got a Panasonic 55” plasma from a sweet old lady moving to England on FB market place with 6 months of a 5 year geek squad warranty remaining for $250! 

The only thing i can suggest is keeping an eye out on slick deals especially since Black Friday is coming up. They always are looking for the best deals on the new oled TVs.

1 hour ago, Boilermaker86 said:

...The only thing i can suggest is keeping an eye out on slick deals especially since Black Friday is coming up. They always are looking for the best deals on the new oled TVs.

I was speaking to the shop owner/repair tech at my locally owned appliance store. According to him, the TV you buy at the big box store is not the same as the one you buy from him even though the model numbers are MOSTLY the same. He repairs both TV's for the big box stores as well as his own sales, so I trust he knows what he's talking about.

Also, the big box stores' "Black Friday" TV deals are specially made to a price point, and consequently use substandard parts, to meet the attractive price. They have a considerably higher incidence of failures as well.

Think before you buy.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:35 PM, Peter P. said:

I was speaking to the shop owner/repair tech at my locally owned appliance store. According to him, the TV you buy at the big box store is not the same as the one you buy from him even though the model numbers are MOSTLY the same. He repairs both TV's for the big box stores as well as his own sales, so I trust he knows what he's talking about.

Also, the big box stores' "Black Friday" TV deals are specially made to a price point, and consequently use substandard parts, to meet the attractive price. They have a considerably higher incidence of failures as well.

Think before you buy.

That’s why you have to pay attention to the model number. They bring out Black Friday only TVs that look the same, but are actually a different lower model so the sales price is not really a sale. 

They still have the same TVs they usually do mixed in and can have good sales on those too. You have to be careful witch are witch. Some TVs are on sale at there lowest price or close to the lowest price.