Anything to this modification...

rosey1968

I don't know but it doesn't make much sense to me. These cabs weren't designed to have added insulation and attaching additional wood on the outside of the cabinet without any additional bracing on the inside seems like a waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Depending on the amplifier, the extra insulation in the box can be helpful.  

I have both added additional insulation and bracing.  It will help slightly with some of the bloat that may be heard in certain areas of the frequency response.

As far as the side panels on those speakers, it will help a little.  It would have been better if you wrapped the whole speaker instead of just the bottoms.  Also the four screws on the woofers is not really a good mounting scheme.  All eight should be used on the woofers (drill out the other 4 holes as I have done on a set of KLF-20 woofers) and use better screws.

rosey1968, the mods on those don't push it to the $1500 price range but if you have a set of KLF-30s, any tightening of the cabinet or components is worthwhile, even for your KLF-20s.  If you modify a cabinet such as here, add some space.  KLF-20 woofers are very happy in 5-5.5 cu ft.

• 3 weeks later...

Did this to a pair of Cornwalls only on the the backs. Before I put on an extra layer of 3/4" Birch they would vibrate pretty much from the internal pressures of the woofer. After they were attached to the removable back panels (screws and glue) they are nearly dead still.

Yes, the bass output has improved quite a bit.....