Small church, BIG SOUND!

Mallette

The Church of St. James in Texarkana has a rich musical tradition and that was demonstrated by the presence this morning of a remarkable string quartet. The acoustics in that venerable structure are (double entendre unintentional but appropriate) divine and the Reuter Opus 2238 2 manual, 30 rank pipe organ with antiphonal trompette en chamade combine for an exceptional musical experience. The plaster over 24 inch thick brick walls, wood ceiling and beams, and shape of the structure provide about a 2 second squeaky clean decay and tempers the "bite" of the marvelous reeds and trumpets.  R. Andrew Clark, organist and choirmaster, commands this instrument and his choir with a mastery that leads to it being a rare Sunday I am not reduced to tears of joy at some point. Whether atheist, agnostic, of a another faith or denomination, a visit to St. James on a high holy day is likely to provide you with an exceptional musical experience and a new insight on the 1900 year old traditions to be found still vibrant there.

But today's experience with these fine musicians may well have eclipsed the Sunday high pontifical mass at St. Peter's. They played to perfection and covered a wide range of material from Bach to "Come thou fount of every blessing" and others. They accompanied every hymn as well. I spoke with them after the service and have asked them to consider putting together a program of various combinations of organ and strings for a recording. They and Mr. Clark indicated interest and I hope to hear from them about it. I'll mention it here if it comes to fruition and how to get a copy as well.  While I have had confidence in my own engineering abilities for some time, transferring PWK's work has taught me even more and I look forward to aspiring to the incredibly natural sound he achieved both in intimate jazz and expansive spaces.  Organ specs attached for those interested in such things.

stjames01.jpg

Stjame02.jpg

stjames03.pdf

• Like 5

Beautiful church, Dave. Just attended a funeral service at Christ Church Episcopal in Chattanooga this past week. Also a beautiful old church, mext to the campus of the University pf Tennessee at Chattanooga. I'm goi g to go back this mext week for picturss.

Bruce

Interesting, Bruce.  Made me recall a funeral for a young man at my old church in the DFW area.  I overheard a Baptist say "Well, I am not going to change denominations but I'd really prefer to be buried from this church." 

I understood the sentiment.

Dave

• Haha 1

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

That sounds like such an amazing experience! I love attending church for the music and the sense of community, and it's clear that the Church of St. James in Texarkana really knows how to deliver on that. The combination of the pipe organ and the string quartet must have been breathtaking. I hope you are able to record a program with them, it would be such a treat to be able to listen to it again and again. I totally agree that the acoustics in old churches like this one and Christ Church Episcopal in Chattanooga can be absolutely divine. It's always such a pleasure to attend services at these types of churches. At my church, firstchurchlove.com, we have a beautiful pipe organ and a talented choir as well. It's always a highlight of the week for me to attend and hear them perform.