Need a headset

TKA

Hi,

I am looking for a good headset for music and computer hookups. I looked at the Bose set they are advertising in the inflight mags but I have nothing to compare them to at $300.

I want the noise muffling feature so I think I need the over the ear style.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Terry

oh please, don't get those BOSE headphones. There is a lot of controversy behind even their headphones!

i just got Sennheiser HD-600's, cost was 60% off Smile.gif Normal price is $449. They are an open circumaural design, covers your entire ear, but because it is open, you can hear things around you. WOrks out great if you don't care if other ppl can hear you or if you need to hear a phone ring.

If those two things don't appeal to you, get a closed headphone.

Check out Sennheiser's line of closed headphoens, really great ones. Grado's are very nice also, but don't isolate the sound as well. Another brand to look at is Sony, just NOTHING with DJ-XXX or something similar. the V6 is great, the V600 and all others not so great.

I would look at the Sennheiser HD 280 PROFESSIONAL, not cheap, $200, but sound pretty nice. Smile.gif Also the HD 265 for $250.

But if you want the best sond possible for $250, you have to get the HD600's, MSRP is $450, mostplaces sell them for that much, but there are some online dealers that sell them for $225 or $250, and you can get them at The Great Indoors for $250.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Now that you have got me looking at the better headphones, I get the feeling that the better sounds headphones do not have the noise reduction feature. I understand the closed and open designs but this noise reduction seems to be some sort of electronic filtering. Do you give up sound quality for the noise reduction?

Terry

You don't HAVE to give up quality for noise reductoin, but you do have to give up more money for both.

What kind of noise are you trying to get rid of? Thse closed headphoens do a pretty darn good job at it with music playing. infact, at age 16 i nearly had a heart attack, on several occasions, when someone would be talking to me and i had them on, could not hear them then turn around an BAM, there they are... scared me half to death haha. they do a really good job at isolating the sound for not being sound isolators. i often would not wear them if i was waiting for a phone call, or if i had my back to the door way because i have this weird fear of being attacked from the back... and with the headphones on i could not hear the person behind me. i am very weird Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

Email Me

I highly recommend Sennheiser HDC 451 noise cancelling headphones. $99.95 through Audioadvisor.com. They are an open-air design. I have found them to be very comfortable and the noise cancelling feature works very well. I used them on a flight from PA to Hawaii (that's 10 hours one way, campers...) and was very pleased with the performance. An added bonus is that an airline headphone adapter is included, so you don't have to use (and pay for) the airline's excuse for headphones. I also use them in my office, which has a particularly noisy HVAC system. Good luck!

i tried out the AKG's and personally found them lacking. i was almost going to buy them, till i tried them out.

the sony v-6's are the best sony's i think they have made. too bad the rest of that line up stinks it up. Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

Email Me

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the definative reference headphone, Beyer's DT-48. These are used by audiologists to test hearing and are VERY accurate. They are also the standard for sound guys who record audio for film. They don't always sound pretty, but they are always accurate. You can get them in a variety of impedences as well. Mine are 8 ohm and I find I get a little more volume out of most devices. They are not open and look like they were built to be used in a tank. Give em a listen and you'll discover every problem in your system not associated with your speakers.

------------------

If it don't rust or glow,

I don't trust it!

His budget is <$100... that puts those at $330 over budget. they are also pretty tight on your head. 5N the maximum allowed by DIN 45 500 Part 10. 5N is more than what is comfortable on me.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

Email Me

Thanks for the imput, I tried some Sennheisers at $100 but a friend let me use his Sony 7506 at the same price and they were more compact folded and the sound was a little crisper.

I decided I really wanted comfort and the Sony's fit better and are lighter. My basic need is for something to use for music and movies on my Mac titanium lap top will flying on the airlines. The closed design muffled more ambient noise than the open design and I am not sold on the noise cancelling technology.

Terry

Ok, certainly NOT audiophile quality, but I will share my headphone experience.

I am currently using Panasonic RP-HT355's. They are far from audiophile quality, like I said... But they are very nice at around $30. lol They have a nice bass response, and using my PM5.1 headphone amp out, I only get static when I max them out. They can take a lot. With the headphone amp I built for portability, they sound great. Just a note...

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>