Help-Identifying my speakers

tnlawyerguy

Any help is appreciated on this, a friend gave me these speakers.  I do not see a serial number or model number on them.  I'm not an audiophile either and I don't understand the speaker wire hook-ups--it looks like you can either wrap the wire around the screw or around a threaded rod then screw down a wingnut on it?  Is there some sort of special terminal or way to hook these upIMG_20161107_213113368.jpgIMG_20161107_213139452 - Copy.jpg?

Hi and welcome, those are Heresy I's, and the serial is stamped on the rear top edge.  The speaker connections are on the plate that you pictured.  You can wrap bare wire around each of the screws and tighten down.  Do not let them touch.  You should connect negative (black), to the left, and positive (red), to the right.

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Hi and welcome, those are Heresy I's, and the serial is stamped on the rear top edge.  The speaker connections are on the plate that you pictured.

Thanks!!  Concerning the speaker wire hookups.  Is there some special connection or do I just wrap the wire around the bottom screw then tighten and just leave the top stud alone?

3 minutes ago, Weber said:

Yes, welcome to the forum. The speaker looks nice. They do great if they're coupled with the right amp. Do you have other speakers? 

No other speakers.  Just a 1980's fisher studio standard receiver.  LOL  I feel silly posting on here since I don't have serious equipment but I didn't know what these were or how to connect them.

8 minutes ago, tnlawyerguy said:

No other speakers.  Just a 1980's fisher studio standard receiver.  LOL  I feel silly posting on here since I don't have serious equipment but I didn't know what these were or how to connect them.

No such thing.  We all started from somewhere less than our current setup.  List your budget and others will help spend your money on an amp.  You have got yourself some nice speakers.  Share your setup, room size, distance from the speakers and these guys will help you get the most out of them.  Welcome!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

No such thing.  We all started from somewhere less than our current setup.  List your budget and others will help spend your money on an amp.  You have got yourself some nice speakers.  Share your setup, room size, distance from the speakers and these guys will help you get the most out of them.  Welcome!

Room size is 25x30(used to be a garage), concrete block walls covered by 2x4 studs with sheetrock, full of furniture but the main couch is sitting about 8' directly across from the TV.  The speakers are on the outside of a big TV hutch, speakers are roughly 12 feet apart from each other.  The right side speaker is closest to the receiver, probably 1', while the left speaker is 11' or so away from the receiver.   BTW, I have something called a Marantz down in the basement. It appears old: I think it's another receiver but it might be an amp, it's just missing it's outer wooden(I assume) shell, I wonder if that would work?   I'm always looking for cheap so budget is low but I'm uncertain how that translates in audiophile world.  Anyways Thanks for the help!

You have the Heresey I speakers.  Get the tweeter height near ear level.  It will make the details much better.  Also if possibe, shoot for an equilateral triangle.  The listening postion also at 12 ft. if it is not possibel to bring the speakers in a bit.  Others will chime in with suggestion so, stay tuned.:)

• Like 1

Yes, as others have said, those are Heresy I's, purdy ones at that.  I just use bare wire hookups, copper looped on the screw.  I have toyed with the idea of replacing them with a cup terminal, but I haven't gotten there yet.

If you're looking at an amp, I have to shamelessly plug that I still have a Harman Kardon AVR 354 that I am trying to sell.  It was powering my '81 H1's for a while and did a helluva job.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

Yes, as others have said, those are Heresy I's, purdy ones at that.  I just use bare wire hookups, copper looped on the screw.  I have toyed with the idea of replacing them with a cup terminal, but I haven't gotten there yet.

If you're looking at an amp, I have to shamelessly plug that I still have a Harman Kardon AVR 354 that I am trying to sell.  It was powering my '81 H1's for a while and did a helluva job.

I have some Monster cable my friend threw in with the speakers, I assume it is adequate.  I've never seen a speaker connection that has two possible ways to connect the wire before.  I've never seen the inside of a speaker (before looking on here), so I wasn't sure if there was some specific type of speaker connection that had to be used.

Edited by tnlawyerguy

Most speakers today use 5-way binding posts or single-pin release terminals.  Just make sure when you use that wire, that you get the screws tightened.  Nothing will reek havoc on your setup more than shorting out the speakers because of a loose connection.  (or the amp)

6 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

Defintely shameless.

Oh, I also have an HK730 that would sound great with your Heresy's.....shame, shame.....

• Like 4

Just now, jimjimbo said:

As Derrick said, get an equilateral triangle set up between the speakers and your listening position.  Get a rug in front of the speakers, will make a difference in the warmth of the sound.  You obviously came to right place....I think......

I have a 10X12(I think) rug in front them.  It obviously doesn't cover the whole floor.  Should I consider elevating these on some type of stand?  Makes sense that I might want the tweeter at ear level when sitting on the couch?

2 minutes ago, tnlawyerguy said:

Also can someone explain about "tubes?"  I'm googling and reading and some people say these sound best using "tubes".  I assume that means a tube amp?  Sorry but have never delved into this world before...

Yes, it means tube amps.  Please, take no offense, but honestly, considering where you are now with your audio knowledge and the beginning of your journey, I would tread slowly and cautiously at this point.  Take one thing at a time, decide on a total budget, and go from there.  We are here to help.  Most important, have fun with it.

• Like 4

I'd say the rug should cover at least a foot or two in front of the speakers - as you have hard wood floors.  You're doing this to reduce the amount of reflective spaces for higher frequencies.  As for the stand - yes.  You want to get the tweeters as close to ear level as possible.  You might need to tow them in a bit too.  I have most of my setups towed to have the horns just graze the outside from where my ears would be.

• Like 1