Help-Identifying my speakers

tnlawyerguy

22 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

You have the Heresey I speakers.  Get the tweeter height near ear level.  It will make the details much better.  Also if possibe, shoot for an equilateral triangle.  The listening postion also at 12 ft. if it is not possibel to bring the speakers in a bit.  Others will chime in with suggestion so, stay tuned.:)

I can't get the speakers any closer together, between the TV and the shelves (which hold the stereo and DVD) that's as close as it's going to get.

3 minutes ago, tnlawyerguy said:

I have a 10X12(I think) rug in front them.  It obviously doesn't cover the whole floor.  Should I consider elevating these on some type of stand?  Makes sense that I might want the tweeter at ear level when sitting on the couch?

You are going to lose bass reponse if you elevate them, which you don't really want to do with a pair of Heresy's....my perspective anyway.  Tilt them front to back, move them away from the wall 6 inches or so, or get them into a corner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

You are going to lose bass reponse if you elevate them, which you don't really want to do with a pair of Heresy's....my perspective anyway.  Tilt them front to back, move them away from the wall 6 inches or so, or get them into a corner.

They already tilt back due to the bases on them. I heard them play at my buddy's house and they sounded wonderful for the music he was playing(he is an opera singer-so it was right up that alley), I'm hoping that translates into oldies and some early rock and roll.  Again thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, it means tube amps.  Please, take no offense, but honestly, considering where you are now with your audio knowledge and the beginning of your journey, I would tread slowly and cautiously at this point.  Take one thing at a time, decide on a total budget, and go from there.  We are here to help.  Most important, have fun with it.

I'm not offended.  I don't know a thing about this stuff.  LOL:lol:

5 hours ago, tnlawyerguy said:

Do you have suggestions for an amp?

Be careful around here....these guys are EXPERTS at helping you spend money!

Welcome....there's a lot of very friendly people on here with a lot of knowledge.

• Like 2

Tilted back is fine and be proud you have one of the best speakers ever made. It saved the Klipsch company and it sounds awesome with almost any type of power. Later after you get more experience you can look into upgrading the crossovers that are inside the speaker. You can put some spade terminals on the end of the speaker wires to make connecting easier and less prone to shorting out. Take a look around on the forum and learn stuff all of us started out just like you. But most of us started out at 15 to 18 years old in this hobby. You will see terms you don't understand but keep learning. Soon you will be looking for a LaScala or a Klipschorn...lol 

• Like 2

The ones you got are HDBR and have been stained. If there is an  A on the side edge I think it was built by forum member that's on here. HDBR Builder is his handle.

And welcome to the world of KLIPSCH there is a rich history of 70 years of being made in Hope Arkansas.    HDBR= Heresy-Decorator-Birch-Raw.

Not sure where you live but if close to a member we could bring different receivers or amps over so you could get an idea of what different stuff sounds like.

I like the HK 430 receiver but they are getting old and hard to find working. You could pick up an older pioneer, sony  etc receiver to get started as long as you make sure it works before you give the guy the money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tnlawyerguy said:

Also can someone explain about "tubes?"  I'm googling and reading and some people say these sound best using "tubes".  I assume that means a tube amp?  Sorry but have never delved into this world before...

Most Klipsch speakers offer amazing synergy with tube amps and, in my opinion, no solid state equipment can touch the resultant sound quality.  When you are ready to get involved with tubes, post in the tubes section of the forum where you will get many useful suggestions.

Maynard

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weber said:

With the grills and no added trim, the look to be HBR

You could get HDBR with grills.....the lack of edge trim is what designates it HDBR. From the pic it looks like no edge banding so HDBR. Need better picture to confirm.

You could also get pre 80s LaScala with top grill or full grill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Most Klipsch speakers offer amazing synergy with tube amps and, in my opinion, no solid state equipment can touch the resultant sound quality.  When you are ready to get involved with tubes, post in the tubes section of the forum where you will get many useful suggestions.

Maynard is a great guy, and I respect his level of knowledge, but I have to somewhat disagree here.  He is certainly correct in that most Klipsch speakers pair well with tubes, but there are quite a few vintage solid state receivers and amps that offer terrific sound quality with Klipsch speakers, including the Pioneer SX-XX50 series, the Harmon Kardon HK -430, 730, and 930, and the Mcintosh MC250.  I run both tubes and solid state gear (depending on my mood and music choice) and enjoy both equally.   Either way, you have a good start.

• Like 3

Well since it is Election Day I agree with Maynard and Jimbo, no sorry, I disagree with Maynard and Jimbo. No I agree with Jimbo and disagree with Mynard. No sorry it's the other way around, I disagree with Jimbo, agree with Maynard. Oh forgot it is Election Day and I can say anything I want and then change that at any time. The American politicians way you know. Well I think I'll go vote for the third time and correct the first two mistakes I made. 

2 hours ago, ricktate said:

You could get HDBR with grills.....the lack of edge trim is what designates it HDBR. From the pic it looks like no edge banding so HDBR. Need better picture to confirm.

You could also get pre 80s LaScala with top grill or full grill.

It looks, to me, like the grills are recessed. It looks like there is a line of wood at the bottom of the grill.

• Like 1