Need some ripped video storage help

USNRET

I am starting to rip about 500-600 DVD, about 50 BR and a terabyte of music to a new Network Attached Storage device. I am new to the NAS world and want to attempt to do this right the first time as ripping this many discs will take some time.

I will be using a Qnap TS-451+ / 8gb ram / US 4 bay NAS with four 4 TB drives (WD Red like that matters) on a wired Ethernet network using an Nvidia Shield Pro with Plex as the media server.

I am currently running this in a test setup just using a USB external drive to the Shield and it works perfectly on the local net, wireless to home Rokus and remotely to my iPad and Android phone. My thought is that I will have less than 8  TB of data so I have 8 TB more to use as a backup target or in a RAID configuration.

Now to my question(s): when the NAS and drives arrive this weekend and I set them up to begin ripping the DVDs and transferring the tunes should I attempt to learn RAID setup or just use 2 of the four drives as backups. If RAID I am thinking RAID 1. If backup I am hoping that Windows 10 will allow me to set discs 3 and 4 as backup targets and then start ripping to disc 1 then when near full rip to disc 2.

Perhaps there is a way with the Qnap disc manager to make discs 1 and 2 seen as one large disc and then discs 3 and 4 as a separate large disc for backup.

I've been using PCs since DOS 3.0 days but this is new to me, I'm old and I've had two many slushies over time so be kind

• Like 1

Just now, oldred said:

Should be able to mirror each drive in disk management......not familiar with Nvidia Sheild pro.

G.E.M.

Shield not really relevant to the RAID vs backup question. It is simply a device which is a like a very powerful Roku streamer. I laid out the system in case someone asked but the underlying question is to set up a R.A.I.D. on the NAS or simply use 2 drives for storage and 2 for back up. I don't want to spend the time to re-rip this many discs as the three DVDs that I did for test took about 25 minutes each so 500 @ 1/2 hour ea. = a but* load of time

If you setup mirrors to each drive Windows 10 would write to both the primary as well as the mirror.

4 drives 

Drive 1.....use drive 2 to make mirror

Drive 3..... use drive 4 to make mirror

Are you writing them as ISO/ts

If you use make mkv....write as mkv....much faster.....just a thought

G.E.M.

Playing with the...eh..eh, darn forgot the name (container/) but so far MKV with, what H264? seems to work fine. I want as much quality (not really an issue with 480 DVDs) as I can get at the expense of space.

So far using DVDFab9 as the first software I tried (I forget, it didn't like the encryption). Using trial but if I like I will license.

12 hours ago, USNRET said:

Shield not really relevant to the RAID vs backup question. It is simply a device which is a like a very powerful Roku streamer. I laid out the system in case someone asked but the underlying question is to set up a R.A.I.D. on the NAS or simply use 2 drives for storage and 2 for back up. I don't want to spend the time to re-rip this many discs as the three DVDs that I did for test took about 25 minutes each so 500 @ 1/2 hour ea. = a but* load of time

12 hours ago, oldred said:

If you setup mirrors to each drive Windows 10 would write to both the primary as well as the mirror.

4 drives 

Drive 1.....use drive 2 to make mirror

Drive 3..... use drive 4 to make mirror

Are you writing them as ISO/ts

If you use make mkv....write as mkv....much faster.....just a thought

G.E.M.

I've not setup a NAS, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  I'm a diamond level guy with the Hilton chain, so I don't do much over there.  anyway, I would think that there is some kind of disk management app that either comes with the NAS, embedded on it, or recommended to use for it.  I would think either take OldRed's approach, or maybe try to join together 2 pairs of disks as 2 volumes of 2 disks each, and RAID or mirror one volume to the other.

I think it would be worth the time taken at the beginning before you start test ripping to look at how you want to manage the NAS, and get that setup how you like it before you move on to the next step of the process.  because if you want to change disk setup mid-stream, well, I think you know what that could entail...  :o

good luck with your project.  post updates on what you decide & how it goes.

I would just use the QNAP software built into the device (QTS 4.2) and select all four disks to create a single RAID-10 volume.  This will yield a little under 8TB usable.  Set a daily snapshot schedule on the volume so you have a fallback point in case of corruption or user error.  I'm not familiar with this device or software but I have something similar from Western Digital (My Cloud.)  The last bit of protection would be to connect a USB drive to the QNAP device and setup a weekly backup schedule to the local USB drive.  The volume snapshots protect you for data corruption or user error, but if their is a bug in the QTS software that corrupts the entire 4-disk RAID-10 volume, then your external USB drive is your safety net.  (you could also setup a rotation of two USB drives to keep one offsite at all times.)

The option that you mentioned, I'm sure there's a way in QTS 4.2 to setup two raid-1 volumes - 4TB each.  this would separate your failure domains.  You could rip your data to volume-1 and then have QTS 4.2 do a daily internal backup/sync from volume-1 to volume-2.

Bottom line is I would let QTS do the data protection and just let your NAS clients, whether windows or mac, treat the QNAP as a giant shared drive(s).

• Like 1

I agree with Pbphoto, let Qnap do the raid on the disks.  It looks like that Qnap supports raid 5.  This is striping with parity, its not bad for writing, but it is very fast reads.  If you lose a drive the volume is only degraded speed wise, but you don't lose data.  You can replace the failed drive and the raid will rebuild itself.  

You can do raid 5 with 3 drives at minimum.  If you want you can tell Qnap to use 3 active and 1 hot swap drive...or just let it use all 4 in the raid.  (Not sure if the Qnap supports Hot spare or not)  The more hard drive spindles in use the more performance you will get.  If you use 3 drives you will have 8tb usable space, double the read performance and all 4 drives will give you 12tb space with triple read performance.  

At this point I might not be answering your question exactly, but hope to point you towards using the Qnap's raid technology instead of disk by disk read/write...I also agree with backing up to something outside of the Qnap if you are paranoid.  

• Like 1

I agree with all that.  sounds like you guys have been around the block a time or 2.  one point of caution though, re RAID 5 striping with parity, maybe striping with or without parity - it's been too long, I'm at the office "working"  B), and haven't looked it up.  anyway, re this:

57 minutes ago, Pathos said:

I agree with Pbphoto, let Qnap do the raid on the disks.  It looks like that Qnap supports raid 5.  This is striping with parity, its not bad for writing, but it is very fast reads.  If you lose a drive the volume is only degraded speed wise, but you don't lose data.  You can replace the failed drive and the raid will rebuild itself.  

there is what I'll call a point of no return - meaning:  if you lose 1 drive, data is still intact - due to data being striped across all disks in the set.  but if you lose more than <whatever allowable threshold>, and that could be any more than just ONE DISK - your fault tolerance (for backup & restore) and maybe your WHOLE DATA SET could be gone.  G O N E !!!

now I don't want to be an alarmist, but offer this to try & help, with the recommendation to do your due diligence of research before & during setup so you're not caught unawares.  hope you understand.

and again, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 11:31 PM, USNRET said:

Playing with the...eh..eh, darn forgot the name (container/) but so far MKV with, what H264? seems to work fine. I want as much quality (not really an issue with 480 DVDs) as I can get at the expense of space.

So far using DVDFab9 as the first software I tried (I forget, it didn't like the encryption). Using trial but if I like I will 

why dont u download a cracked copy of it