What's Up With the KG SW?

Peter P.

Okay; I caught the Klipsch bug.

I started participating in the forum a couple months ago when I wanted a pair of Heresy's; my first Klipsch speaker.

Now I want a subwoofer; The KG SW to be exact.

I already have an active subwoofer but I'm not crazy about leaving the thing on all the time; not for safety reasons. It's just that I'm cheap on electricity and the subwoofer is in the basement, where I don't play that often.

Sniffing around, I discovered Klipsch made a passive subwoofer, the KG SW. That appeals to me. Then as luck would have it, someone posted a KG SW for sale on Craigslist for $80. (Alas, when I contacted the owner, it was already sold, but the owner hasn't taken the ad down. Why do people do that?!)

Anyway, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a KG SW, but in the meantime I search this forum and see no mention of it. So can anyone give me their opinions and comments on it? I've got to believe SOMEONE on this forum owns one!

I don't see many subs for sale on the used market both here, and on CL.  Of the subs I've seen, I've never seen a KG SW.  I think the main problem is finding a sub locally because they are heavy and the cost of shipping would eat up any savings from buying pre-listened to models.

There are always deals out there but even on the used market I think you are going to have to have a minimum budget of about $300 to get something that will blend with your Heresy's.

I own a 12" Klipsch sub, a 10" Paradigm and a 15" DIY.  From a sound point-of-view the DIY blows the other two away.  You might consider finding a sub locally that meets your musical/HT needs and keep an eye out for the KG SW if that's what you want.  When you find the KG SW then sell the place-holder.

I've seen a few of them around and looked them up before. They remind me of an old Bose subwoofer system that a friend of mine used to own. It was basically used with tiny satellite speakers that needed to be crossed over very high and the "sub" was really acting as a "woofer" to fill in the bottom 40-150hz that the tiny speakers couldn't play. Kind of like a computer speaker set up except that it isn't self powered.

I've never heard the Klipsch variant but I'd guess that just about any other sub in the Klipsch line up would do better with your Heresy's. If you don't want to leave a self powered sub turned on all of the time simply plug it in to a strip plug and turn it off when not listening to it.

I should clarify; I don't intend to use it with the Heresy's. I've got a pair of bookshelf speakers in the basement I intend to pair with the subwoofer. I currently have an El Cheapo Sony 10" subwoofer I bought on Craigslist for a mere $75, and it was less than a mile from me: win-win! But the "powered thing" doesn't appeal to me. Interestingly, the Klipsch kg brochure lists the kg sw as an "ideal complement" to the Heresy, which leads me to believe it WILL add something significant to any other speaker as well.

That kg sw that dtr20 posted is the exact subwoofer that was already sold yet the ad was still on Craigslist. Sheesh.

I'm not looking for "true" subwoofer operation i.e., I don't need 20Hz. The kg sw goes low enough for my needs and it's passive, which is what I'm looking for. And it's a Klipsch, so I"m inclined to have more faith in the design and construction than with other brands and models.

I found another one on eBay but alas, it's in Alabama and it's listed for Local Pickup Only. As wvu80 noted, shipping costs usually factor in heavily with how used subwoofers are bought and sold.

C'mon; doesn't anybody here own one?! Maybe heard one in the wild?!

IMHO, it is best to leave the sub on all the time just like your TV, toaster, ect.  They use very little power.  A good 8-12 in. sub sounds like all you need.  I use a small Klipsch 8 in. sub with my VF 35 towers.  It has been plenty of sub for that family room system over the last 5 years.

20 hours ago, Peter P. said:

C'mon; doesn't anybody here own one?! Maybe heard one in the wild?!

What is your location?  If someone here doesn't own one, maybe they can find one.  The Klipsch denizens are pretty good at finding stuff.

On November 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Peter P. said:

I'm in Connecticut.

Hi Peter...I'm hooking up a KG SW tonight. It plays ok, it has a smooth tone, not sharp like a modern home theatre system. Where in CT are you? I could be persuaded to sell it. I go to Ashford (NE corner) every few months.

jim

• 3 weeks later...

That was nice of you post that link; thanks! You're like the devil sitting on my left shoulder...

P.S. The price for that kg sw is $150+$33 shipping. That's not bad considering it would ship from WI to CT.

But there's another one on eBay in Alabama listed for $99 albeit Local Pickup Only, and one recently sold on local Craigslist for $80.

Should I hold out?

Lastly, the eBay listing specs the drivers as K-1003-k8, but the Klipsch literature specs a 1004. I'm inclined to think it's an error and I inquired with the seller, coyly asking about the driver spec. I can't find a k-1003 driver-does Klipsch make an 8" driver with that model number? I'd hate to get bogus drivers in that unit.

20 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Buy it....buy it

I contacted the seller last night to ask him if he was sure about the driver P/N; he listed k-1003-k8 and the Klipsch literature listed 1004.

He responded today. I rechecked the auction and they were already sold.  :-(

Thanks for keeping an eye out.

• 11 months later...

Hello to all I Klipsch land this my first time on this form so please be gentle. I my self am looking for the Klipsch KG SW passive subwoofer in walnut finish. Mostly it’s to have the complete set in the KG line. I am planing on running it with my KG4s and KG1s. 

I live in Ontario, Canada and cant find one anywhere. I guess my really question is do any of you fine folks have or know of where I can purchase one of these that will ship to me?

E8AA0C5D-9F16-4FBD-B07D-05BA624242A7.jpeg

• 4 months later...