Marantz 2230 and Klipsch

Lea

Hi All,

My name is Leandro, I just got a Marantz 2230 and I was wondering wich type of Klipsch I can use with the receiver.

I just have some doubts regarding the speakers (taking account that the receiver has 30W per channel).

I was thinking to take some floorstanding speakers, but I am afraid that is too much for the Marantz, so I would like to know togheter with your experience which option could be situable for my case.

The last days I was on a shop and of course the floorstanding has more power specially with the bass, they sound great.

So, wich could be a good option with good bass for my receiver? It's possible to use the floorstandard? Or better bookshelf?

I saw another post where the user added a subwoofer, it's possible?

I usually listen Rock, and sometimes reggae :)

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Edited by Lea

Hi Leandro, welcome to the forum.

You acquired a nice vintage receiver there, which will sound great with many Klipsch speakers.  At 30w per channel, you have plenty of power, as most Klipsch speakers are very efficient.  I guess the choice of speakers will revolve around your budget, the room you have, and other factors such as whether you will be streaming via the internet, using a turntable, a cd player, etc.  Vintage Klipsch speakers such as Heresy, La Scala etc, would be a great choice, in my opinion, but again, the previous factors will drive your selection.  Welcome to the Klipsch community, and have fun with it?  Could you let us know where you are located?  Take care.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Hi Leandro, welcome to the forum.

You acquired a nice vintage receiver there, which will sound great with many Klipsch speakers.  At 30w per channel, you have plenty of power, as most Klipsch speakers are very efficient.  I guess the choice of speakers will revolve around your budget, the room you have, and other factors such as whether you will be streaming via the internet, using a turntable, a cd player, etc.  Vintage Klipsch speakers such as Heresy, La Scala etc, would be a great choice, in my opinion, but again, the previous factors will drive your selection.  Welcome to the Klipsch community, and have fun with it?  Could you let us know where you are located?  Take care.

Hi Jim, thanks for the quick response :) . I am also glad to be in the community. I am located in Hamburg, Germany but I am from Argentina .

For now the budget for is not a problem. Usually am using a turntable with the receiver and regarding the room has 25 m/2 .

1 hour ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

I ran Heresies an LA Scala at the same time with a 2226b for decades and it could drive you out of the room with the loudness it produced. Sounded great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I thought with 2230 could be not enough power, but if you said me that the 2226 and La Scala sounds great together, I will think about it!!!!

Edited by Lea

Hi Lea, the 2230 should be fine for now.  Whatever speakers you decide on, make sure that your room is not overly reflective, meaning a nice rug on the floor, some upholstered furniture, etc.  If you can place the speakers near a corner on either side, and off the wall a bit, that will help.  Be sure that your turntable is isolated from vibration, not placed on top of a speaker, etc.  Get some decent 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire.  I know the Marantz has the spring loaded terminals on the back for speaker connections, so you may want to get some "Pin" adapters for the speaker wire, or strip the wire, twist them tight, and just put an extremely small amount of solder on the end, then connect to the rear of the receiver, inside the spring terminals.

Thirty watts is plenty of power for ANY Klipsch speaker, fear not.  I am uncertain what Klipsch may be available in Germany, but some will be better for a simple 2-channel system.  I'd look for Chorus, Cornwall, any of the floor standing KLF or RF series.  Klipschorns would be the ultimate if you have 2 good corners. 

No problem with the 30 watts of the Marantz, later on when the upgrade bug hits you consider having it re-capped and generally gone over. I have recently had two of my vintage Marantz receivers (2240 & 2245) re-capped and was knocked out by the improvement in sound.

• Like 1

Is really nice to heard that the small Marantz will give battle also with 30w ^_^ .

At the beggining I was a little bit distrustful about that, but your experience is bigger than mine, so let's rock.

Tomorrow I will try to test all the floorstandings speakers at the store. It could be that the Heritage's model are more difficult to find in the shop.

6 hours ago, Lea said:

Hi Guys, thanks again for the advice.

Tomorrow I will spend some hours in Hamburg testing Klipsch in order so see which could be the best solution for the Marantz :)

Let us know what is available in your area.  This will help us make better suggestions.

• Like 1

Jim.. to be honest there is a guy near hamburg offering a used pair of Heresy for $600. I thought about that also, indeed my marantz is used (in really good conditions). Maybe I could make 20km more to his house and try it. Specially if it's a worthwhile effort

Thanks for the tip. :)

@derrickdj1, that is a good idea, tomorrow I will take note and let you know what is available here. 

Edited by Lea

I would certainly consider the Heresy's.  I would think in your market that the $600 is a pretty good price, especially if they are in good shape.  Make sure all of the drivers are working, look them over carefully for cabinet issues.  One way to validate the tweeters is to take a cotton sock along with you, and play some music that you like, stuffing the front of the tweeter with the sock and noting the change.  If there is no change, most likely the tweeters are blown.  Simple but pretty effective, short of opening them up and taking readings with a meter.