Cornwall II's and III's - Comparison?

MikeGinIllinois

HI.
I have a pair of Cornwall II's that I power with my Harman Kardon AVR 7200. I'm real happy with that mix.

What would anyone say about the Cornwall III's? My buddy says there's a rumor that they are not as good as the II's. Is there any truth to that?
Do you have III's and like them as well as II's?

Thanks much.

Mike Gallery

Crystal Lake, IL

Biggest difference between the II & the III's is the mid horn and crossover points. The II uses the k-601 horn and plays down to 600hz, the III on the other hand uses the k-701 and only plays down to 800hz. The III's use titanium drivers for the mids and tweeters and a higher quality crossover network but those all can be purchased for the II's for relatively low cost.

If I had a pair of the II's I certainly would not run out and buy the III's. If I wanted "better" sound I'd update the II's or spend the money elsewhere in my system.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Weber said:

Cornwall 3 go higher than 1s, dig deeper and are more sensitive that the Cornwall 1 or 2. 

I like specifications...... especially when the measurement/reference parameters are not specified.

Are the III's a larger box and different size box?

Same k-33 woofer?

Seems it would likely be the same sensitivity except in the highs unless there was a substantial box deviation with reference to the bass (which to me establishes the balance of the speaker)...Many people complain about with Klipsch speakers for being shrill so I hope that is not so here.. Seems to be a measurement/specification modification though the Cornwall brothers are definitely sensitive enough to be driven with a low power amp with lots of grunt..

With that said, some people like Ti over phenolic and poly.  Those are the people who will say the IIIs sound better.  

Listen for yourself and choose your poison as I like phenolic for mids especially, and the Ti's will typically go higher if you are young enough to hear it.

• Like 1

I hope Dtel weighs in on this, since I believe he has CW IIIs and has done comparisons. Another difference is the positioning of the woofer, the IIIs place it higher on the motor board than the Is or IIs. I believe this is supposed to control floor bounce. The CWs have long been noted for having a bit of boominess. I tamed my IIs by pulling them out from the corners and using a subwoofer below 60 Hz. I also  happen to like the K79 tweeter of the later IIs better than the K-77.

Thanks for these comments. There's a pair of new III's that are on Ebay at a current bid of $1,525.00. Based on these comments it sounds like I need to stick with getting a used pair of II's as I will need another pair soon for another room. Everyone here is always very helpful. Thanks again. 

Mike Gallery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Cornwall-III-Floor-Standing-Speakers-a-pair-/322320431847?hash=item4b0bcb7ae7:g:AkIAAOSwMgdXzqSQ

Did not know the CIII mid-horn was different than previous versions.  That's interesting. 

I'm watching that black pair on ebay, too, but I just bought a pair of RF82II's and they were delivered today, so I probably won't be getting serious about those corns.  But if the price is right...:)

There's not much difference between 600 and 800 Hz.  Both are low enough not to affect voices and most instrument in that range will have overlap of the fundemental frequency and harmonic's.  So, is it a night and day difference, I doubt it.  If decent drivers were chose for the I, II and III's, the difference can't be major. 

• Like 1

The Cornwall was not meant to be a full range stand alone speaker.  It's, probably, why the Cornscalla is such a better design: its design is based on making a full range speaker. I like the Cornwall and can see why some don't. The room or power source can have more to the quality of sound that the different versions. 

"A voice frequency (VF) or voice band is one of the frequencies, within part of the audio range, that is used for the transmission of speech.

In telephony, the usable voice frequency band ranges from approximately 300 Hz to 3400 Hz. It is for this reason that the ultra low frequency band of the electromagnetic spectrum between 300 and 3000 Hz is also referred to as voice frequency, being the electromagnetic energy that represents acoustic energy at baseband.

Just found this:

"But what’s surprising in all this is that the entire range of men’s and women’s voices remains between about 65 Hz for a male with a very deep bass voice to the highest note of a female coloratura soprano, just above 1,000 Hz, at 1,280 Hz. (A female high-pitched scream can go quite a bit higher, to around 3,000 Hz.")

http://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/audio-oddities-frequency-ranges-of-male-female-and-children’s-voices/

13 hours ago, Weber said:

Tell us what you really think. 

Sorry didn't mean to go all super rant. Its a sore topic for me. I battled a bunch of avs guys for a long time about klipsch stats. I backed klipsch all the way. But then the evidence starts pouring in and I had no rebuttal to measured facts. Klipsch straight up lies. No other word to use. They know they do it and they do it anyways. 

I get that lots of companys lie to their costumers so klipsch isn't alone or the first. But even if 1000 places tell the same lie its still imo gutter pool. I held klipsch above that  bose advertising style garbage. Really the real stats are still pretty darn good. Just not world beaters like they advertise. 

Just a Guess but I doubt they sell lots more speakers because of it. So with small or any reward whats the reason? No one in the building knows how to measure a speakers stats? Do they put a bunch of #s on paper in a hat and draw to see what the speaker measured at? Joking aside it is what it is I still love every klipsch speaker iv owned. And if I was in the market for speakers today id be buying klipsch hands down no question (they would be used and really big but they would still be klipsch).   

I would be surprised to hear someone got any of the 1,2 or 3 and wasn't happy. Unless they have been spoiled by years of something bigger and better.

Corns are a great place for peps to peak into the pwk side of klipsch. They can be found really cheap and also replacement parts for every part you can think of (with costs pretty low). Its amazing to me how much attention his speakers still get everyday.

The word timeless probably has no other that nails its meaning like his speakers do. 

• Like 2