Chorus II New To Me

jbsl

Bought my first Heresys back in 1985 in the base exchange for $570 when I was in the Air Force.  Then I had to worry they would make it home okay after shipping them from Dhahran Saudi Arabia to Montgomery Alabama.  They made the 7467 mile trip okay and since then have had KLF 20s, La Scalas, Fortes, and last week picked up a pair of nice Chorus IIs.  

About 3-4 years ago I bought new crossovers and diaphragms for my Fortes.  Improved the sound was happy!  Until last week saw a Craigslist add for Chorus iis and all of a sudden they were in my living room!:o    

I knew the Chorus iis were bigger but until you put them next to the fortes you don't realize how much bigger.  

Today in the mail were new crossovers, tweeter and midrange diaphragms From Bob Crites.  Going to put in the crossovers first and give it a month and then the diaphragms.  Trying to post pics but they are over 4 MB.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

What are you powering them with?

Enjoy...

MKP :-)

I have a Denon 4800 AVR that I use as a preamp(good but need to find a true preamp) and a Amps and Sound Stereo 15 tube amp.  The link is for the special edition and mine is one of the first he built and is not the special edition.  

http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/stereo-15-special-edition/

One of the things I have noticed so far is the Fortes room placement was easier to find than the Chorus ii(still working on it) and the Fortes are more forgiving of the source material.  Back in 2003 when I bought new La Scalas(LS) so much of my music sounded bad on the LS and the same is true on the CHii.  

So far I have one crossover switched to Bob Crites new one and will do the other tonight.  I was going to wait to put in the diaphragms for the tweeter/midrange but I think I will do it this weekend.  

Over the next 3 months pick a preamp and then around June next year get it.  

Thinking about trying to veneer the Fortes(never done this before) and if I don't screw it up then try the Chorus iis. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

Maybe you need to get your hearing checked. :huh2:

It has been a long time since I had them checked and getting old:D  but they are two different speakers that have a different overall sound.

I think the different midrange horns used on the Forte and CHii are one of the things I will have to get use to.  Also the Forte's bass goes to 32 and the CHii  is 39 .  Eventually I may decide I like the Fortes better and sell the Chorus iis or the opposite.     

29 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

24 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Higher sensitivity will do that to you. The good stuff sounds exceptional and the garbage sounds like, well, garbage.

If you can run youtube thru your system try this acoustic guitar video sounds very good on the chorus ii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBfBYfPNXqE&list=PLw-Qq5GTBCwbP0FFcdVof8zqv7eP3baUb

3 hours ago, jbsl said:

I have a Denon 4800 AVR that I use as a preamp(good but need to find a true preamp) and a Amps and Sound Stereo 15 tube amp.  The link is for the special edition and mine is one of the first he built and is not the special edition.  

It's nice to see that, cause that's my amp!!  Justin built that one for me, and it's the one pictured.....The quality is off the charts.  Unfortunately, mine has gone out of rotation pretty much cause I've acquired other goodies, including some MC30's.....I'm sure you are enjoying it.....Do you think you really need a preamp with the Stereo 15?  I have run mine straight off my Oppo 105D, and it is killer.

14 hours ago, jbsl said:

One of the things I have noticed so far is the Fortes room placement was easier to find than the Chorus ii(still working on it) and the Fortes are more forgiving of the source material.  Back in 2003 when I bought new La Scalas(LS) so much of my music sounded bad on the LS and the same is true on the CHii.  

So far I have one crossover switched to Bob Crites new one and will do the other tonight.  I was going to wait to put in the diaphragms for the tweeter/midrange but I think I will do it this weekend.  

Over the next 3 months pick a preamp and then around June next year get it.  

Thinking about trying to veneer the Fortes(never done this before) and if I don't screw it up then try the Chorus iis. 

Your room have any treatments? are the floors wood or carpet?

On 11/12/2016 at 9:17 AM, Cinema_head said:

Your room have any treatments? are the floors wood or carpet?

Carpet.  

Just installed the mid diaphragms.  Will give it a week then install the tweeter diaphragms.

anone thinking about replacing diaphragms on your speakers a offset screwdriver makes thin much easier.