Amplifier for Klipsch RF-7II

centre100

HI.

I' owned these speakers until I bought a La Scala pair.

I used an Hybrid Vincent amplifier with a Nad preamplifier. I think hybrid amps are the best compromise between mutli amp (tubes for treble and monster amp for bass) and tubes.

I'm listening jazz and classical, but my advice is adapted for all music genre.

14 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

Ask willand he's the amp guru around here.  willland

Just because I have owned quite a few doesn't mean I have achieved amp "guru" status.:unsure::P

With that said, I do know which amps drove my RF-63's "better" and thumped the woofers with more authority and rhythm.  Same can apply with my other speakers.

On 11/11/2016 at 8:17 AM, centre100 said:

I thought integrated stereo amplifier, example a:  NAD c368

I think that NAD would be a good choice.  Also see if you can get your hands on an NAD C375BEE/DAC.  On the used market or refurbished you may be able to meet your budget of 800 Euros.

Bill

44 minutes ago, centre100 said:

Thank you for your response.

Will be suffice NAD c368 ?

Being that I have never heard the new C368, I can't say it will bring out the best the RF-7II's have to offer.

The C375BEE will have plenty of juice to do the trick.

Bill

I have used various amps for my RF 7, 7II's.  Carver, Yamaha M 80, M 70 and Acurus which were all at least 200w.  I have also used lower power tube amps.  I am currently using a Yaquin MC 13 S.  This amp is only 45 watts.  It has plenty on power and no need to switch to SS for loud playing or demo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I have used variou amps for my RF 7, 7II's.  Carver, Yamaha M 80, M 70 and Acurus which were all at least 200w.  I have also used lower power tube amps.  I am currently using a Yaquin MC 13 S.  This amp is only 45 watts.  It has plenty on power and no need to switch to SS for loud playing or demo.

+1 to that.....sometimes I can hear it from here!!

G.E.M.

• Like 1

The difficulty with those speakers is driving the lower end, 80-250 hz, where it's a 3 Ohm speaker. I'd suggest going with separates and get the most solid state you can find. Like a 2 channel Emo. 

In any case, all advantages here are at spirited to loud volumes, mid and low volumes likely won't see the benefit from any average integrate or AVR 

Edited by ATLAudio

1 hour ago, ATLAudio said:

In any case, all advantages here are at spirited to loud volumes, mid and low volumes likely won't see the benefit from a ham and eggs Yamaha integrate.

Which models of Yamaha integrateds are of the "ham and eggs" variety?:unsure:;)

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

No slight at all.  It was a serious question.  Just asking if it was any models to avoid?

Bill

None, actually Yamaha makes probably the best integrates for the dollar IMO. Get the best you can afford and yade yade. 

My only caveat is that to get that last little push from any of the Reference II speakers is to have a separates, especially the RF 7 IIs. I have an Emo XPA2 for my RF 62s for instance. 

My experience with the 7 s is not to power them with any AV receiver. No matter which it is. They r not designed to push current Hungry speakers like the 7s. You can get by with it but will not sound as good as a deicated stereo power amp. Not because of watts but it's the cuurent that you need. The 7s will sound harsh  with the highs and mids and not that clean slam bass that these speakers can produce. Watts are not want you are looking for. The heavier the equipment better chance it has good current capibillites. you will not need a sub for music with the 7s when set with the right equipment unless you are a bass head. I have tried lots of amps with the 7s. Every thing the highs and mids and bass are all balanced is when you know they are being powered right.

• Like 2