I may be exiled and stoned for this...

Grizzog

On 11/13/2016 at 6:50 AM, Grizzog said:

Now, if everything is perfect, the khorn will most likely have no mercy beating the Chorus down into a puddle of its own woofer juices.

But therein lies the Chorus' biggest strength against them: they work without everything being perfect. 

That's a good analysis.

"Woofer juices?"  :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 11/12/2016 at 8:46 PM, Mallette said:

Jub and K'horn owners have been in a feud for years.  It is pointless.  The Jub IS superior in lower bass response and wider dispersion...but the K'horn was designed to deliver 98% of the available recorded material at the lowest possible cost for the highest possible accuracy.  The design has never been equaled.  If you are within the limits of the K'horn sound field you won't hear any improvement a/b'ing against Jubs unless there is bass below C1.  Since the Jub doesn't go to C0 where I need for pipe organ, a horn loaded sub is more cost effective to get where I want to be. 

Dave

Not really a feud, neither is right for everyone, but I would go with whatever PWK and my ears thought was best. 

post-12368-0-16300000-1386896650.jpg

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

I would go with whatever PWK and my ears thought was best. 

As would I.  He clearly states here "...a step up" and that the Klipschorn is inherently umimprovable (which is what he told me) without an increase in cost or size.  The Jub could never have been a "Klipschorn II" as it violates his basic rules.  Nothing wrong with that, as the Heresy, Cornwall, Belle, La Scala, all do as well for one good reason or the other.  The key is to know why the designer is deviating from PWK's rules.  Worth it for a good reason.  The Jub is such an example when cost is no object.  The Heresy another example where space and cost are an object.  And so with the rest.

Dave

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Mallette said:

He clearly states here "...a step up" and that the Klipschorn is inherently umimprovable (which is what he told me) without an increase in cost or size. 

I just don't get it, he said the Jube was a step up, with the 510 horn it's very close in size and not far off in price. If it didn't follow his idea of his own basic rules but he liked the curve and the sound, even with the lesser 510 horn enough to consider it a step up, there must have been something to it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Klipschorn, in the right room it is amazing, but having heard both in the same room one after another, it was not a close race. Now the bass bin was closer in sound, but the top half was clearly better than the Klipschorn. Talking about sound only, not looks for sure, that would not be a close race, they shouldn't even line up for that one !

I have some Klipschorn/LaScala top halves, K400 and new AA crossovers, after a few years of the Jube top horn I switched them back just for fun. I left them like that until the next day, It's not even close.

Now please remember..........it's just another opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. :o 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 11/11/2016 at 8:31 PM, Grizzog said:

I have now heard every Heritage and Extended Heritage model except the Cornwall. I did own Cornscalas for a bit though, so I can take a decent guess at the Cornwall sound. 

Out of all of them...the Chorus II are my favorite. No speaker is perfect and they all have compromises. The Chorus happens to strike the perfect balance for me. 

Now I could explain why I like them over all the rest, but I wanted to see if I was immediately banned and shunned for not choosing the mighty Khorn first. 

Of course you would not be shunned or banned, we all know your wrong. 

But really, it all comes down to what ever you like, it's really all that matters.

Unless your wife thinks there terrible, then you have a problem. :huh2:

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

Now please remember..........it's just another opinion, and you know what they say about opinions

Remind me of the price difference.  It's the main thing.  I've not heard the difference you mention between them except in spaces too wide for the K'horn...which, again, are hardly the normal room size.  Accurate is accurate.

Dave

Okay, I have been subjecting myself to perversions which has altered my levels of expectations. I have been pounding so much, so hard for so long that ultimately I have been harder to satisfy. Admittedly, I have been this way for as long as I remember. I used to visit the stores that had displays that tantalized me to the point of torture, I couldn't afford it - not even seconds. As time passed, and out of desperation, I was able to use other things that temporarily satisfied my needs and I had no self-control. Living in the city didn't impede my desires, but the police were called on several occasions (because the neighbors were jealous). Owning a house in the country let me remove any inhibitions, and this condition has gotten worse since joining this forum. Thank you very much, I had no idea about MCM until now. Enjoying MCM is very intense and has, undoubtedly, cost me a few relationships. They like it at first, but after a while it's just too much.

For the past few evenings I have been toning it down by sitting on my hands and leaving the MCMs off. I have been playing strictly the Chorus II and they are really doing it for me. I have to concur that the Chorus II are very special and some great speakers. If something happened and I had to choose one pair of speakers, I would choose, but until then I am enjoying them all.   

• Like 2

On 11/12/2016 at 8:51 PM, jimjimbo said:

Funny, I bought my Khorns from a family who's Dad had them in the Dining Room for a couple of decades.....

What did the previous owner die from? My guess: slow lead poisoning from the wine his wife faithfully poured for him every night. Without fail.

1 minute ago, Wolfbane said:

What did the previous owner die from? My guess: slow lead poisoning from the wine his wife faithfully poured for him every night. Without fail.

I think it was too many State Fair funnel cakes..  Indiana farm boy you know......

The guy I bought my Chorus II from had them playing from a 1.5 watt SET. The sound was awesomely warm and had incredible weight in the bass. When funds allow, I would like to get something like that in addition to my 5-channel since these are doing dual duty for music and movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/15/2016 at 0:41 AM, Mallette said:

Remind me of the price difference.  It's the main thing. 

I thought the Jubilee speakers were actually less expensive than the Khorn. The Khorn lists for $5999 ea. I thought the Jub was about $7k for a pair. Of course, that doesn't include the active crossover and amps required, but that still wouldn't cost that much.

Bruce

They are in production, but not in the normal consumer lineup. They are produced for the pro market, but available to anyone who inquires. The advantage to them is they do need the active setup, but that being said, Klipsch does not make a passive crossover for them in any stock configuration. Roy designed a passive for a couple of different drivers, but they don't make the crossovers... you would have to build your own or go active..

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2016 at 8:58 PM, Grizzog said:

It really depends what you're looking for in a speaker. The Khorns are definitely awesome, but the Chorus II have some abilities the Khorns don't.

As far as most balanced, I'd actually give that award to the Forte I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About a month ago I picked up a pair of Chorus IIs and have replaced the crossover, midrange and tweeter diaphragms.  Before I replaced everything the Ch IIs did not sound very good compared to Forte I(with replaced crossover, midrange and tweeter diaphragms).  Now the CH II sound much better but still need to work on their placement.  May keep them or sell them and put the Fortes back in the system.

I agree, to me the Forte is the most balanced Klipsch speaker I have had.