Need Advice Klipsch Reference IV RF82

Futurist

I know they're known for having harsh high end.. i'm pretty disappointed... Before I sell them I would like to maybe put better tweeters in them and see if they could be less harsh.. Does anyone know of where and what to maybe get?... They are pretty much bass and high end they don't really have mid's... Does anyone know if the KG's are more balanced? I heard the KG 1.5's  and those sounded really good.. maybe I will try the used KG 3.2's or 4.2's..

I know the room is kind of small.. But I have a Yamaha RX v995 and also a a cheaper version of the same model something like RX 449.. I think I like the cheaper one because it has less bass.. So it sounds more Balanced.. I have played with moving the speakers all around.. the reason the couch is there because I have some different speaker facing the couch..Photo11122040.jpg

2 hours ago, Futurist said:

I know they're known for having harsh high end.. i'm pretty disappointed... Before I sell them I would like to maybe put better tweeters in them and see if they could be less harsh.

This surprises me because most of the reviews that I read after the Ref IV RF-82's came out were very favorable and most stated how Klipsch toned down the high end with these models by lowering the crossover point from the Ref. III model.  The RF-82 was often labeled as the "sweet spot" in the Ref IV line.

I happen to like a little sparkle on the top end so I may not be the one who should be commenting.:huh:;)

Bill

I appreciate any feed back.. Man I just played some electronic music and the low end is perfect with out a sub.. but I had the treble on o in the middle to make it sound not to high or harsh.. You got a hell of a lot speakers!... On your RF's or any of your speakers where is your treble knob set around?.. Also I have a much more powerful receiver I that I was using and I was driving the bass a little hard which was cause a greater imbalance.. So I'm now play it with a smaller less powerful receiver so it does sound a little better now.. 

On 11/13/2016 at 11:48 AM, Futurist said:

I appreciate any feed back.. Man I just played some electronic music and the low end is perfect with out a sub.. but I had the treble on o in the middle to make it sound not to high or harsh.. You got a hell of a lot speakers!... On your RF's or any of your speakers where is your treble knob set around?.. Also I have a much more powerful receiver I that I was using and I was driving the bass a little hard which was cause a greater imbalance.. So I'm now play it with a smaller less powerful receiver so it does sound a little better now.. 

You should turn all tone controls to 0 to properly judge the speaker. If you have the treble and bass boosted, I would expect the treble and bass to overwhelm the midrange.

Yeah I did still a thin mid range but... I have rearranged the room for the 4-5 time.. And they now sound better.. Also These speakers make electronic music come alive!

Anything old or 70's-80's don't sound good at all.. Unless they have a glossy production.. I played The group Yes 90120 cd and I have never heard it sound so good.. Without a sub woofer the bass was killer. And I played The Cars its sound great..  I'm going to keep them!... I guess I was playing some of the wrong music for these.. I will just get some bookshelf speakers for playing older vintage music..

Edited by Futurist

I recommend that if you like the bass already means you are getting close but you need better amplification more current to tame the harshness. That's my experience with the referance line which I have owned for 16 years. I have tried all kinds of different amps some sound harsh and the better amp the better it sounds. When you have theses bad boys with good equipment you will not need  bass or highs boost. Flat is where it's at with klipsch to get best sound. A entry level emotiva amp wound be a good start. They are priced reasonable.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2016 at 10:09 AM, ATLAudio said:

http://www.libinst.com/PublicArticles/Setup of WG Speakers.pdf

Set your towers up at a 45 deg angle and place them out where they intersect 3-4 feet in front of you. This link gives you the science behind it. Make sure you're not using YAPO or anything like that, at least at first. 

Thanks for the info!