Xilica XP active crossover integration into my system

Chris A

On 5/21/2021 at 3:30 PM, Newfangled said:

Do you think using AES into the XD-4080 have any improvement on sound?

user @etc6849 reports that it does:

Chris

1 hour ago, Newfangled said:

I’m new to the forum and had to be approved by a mod as it was my first post.

Welcome!

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of REL subs that I may want to connect through Xilica.  I’m wondering about the wire connection, xlr to neutrik? Or xlr to rca, high or low level input ?

can I bypass REL crossover somehow to use Xilica?

thanks, Ted

I avoid RCA whenever and wherever possible.  Neutrik is a manufacturer, and are noted for their XLR and their own unique speakON connectors.  The speakON connector is most often used for connection to non-powered loudspeakers:

31s69pASltL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp61LlBckvSsL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp

For powered (signal-level) connections, XLR is typically the best to use, since they reject common mode noise (i.e., power-related noise):

81wQk-AX9HL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp

3 hours ago, VDS said:

can I bypass REL crossover somehow to use Xilica?

This sounds like you've got passive subwoofers--not powered. To answer your question, you can go internally and bypass any passive low-pass or high pass filters, using the filters within the Xilica to limit the signal to your separate subwoofer amplifier. 

Generally I wouldn't bypass an active (i.e., on-board amplifier) subwoofer's circuitry, unless you've got issues with those electronics (i.e., failures).  I would simply route the signal-level connection from the Xilica to the active subwoofer--using XLR-->XLR connections, if possible.

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I avoid RCA whenever and wherever possible.  Neutrik is a manufacturer, and are noted for their XLR and their own unique Speakon connectors.  The Speakon connector is most often used for connection to non-powered loudspeakers:

31s69pASltL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp61LlBckvSsL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp

For powered (signal-level) connections, XLR is typically the best to use, since they reject common mode noise (i.e., power-related noise):

81wQk-AX9HL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp

This sounds like you've got passive subwoofers--not powered. To answer your question, you can go internally and bypass any passive low-pass or high pass filters, using the filters within the Xilica to limit the signal to your separate subwoofer amplifier. 

Generally I wouldn't bypass an active (i.e., on-board amplifier) subwoofer's circuitry, unless you've got issues with those electronics (i.e., failures).  I would simply route the signal-level connection from the Xilica to the active subwoofer--using XLR-->XLR connections, if possible.

Chris

I’ve got powered REL’s t9i. Typically I’ve used the speakon to bare wire cable provided by rel to go from amp speaker output to subs speakon input. I think your saying get a xlr to speakon cable?  
the subs amp has gain and adjustable filter, I think 40-180hz?

i wonder if just setting the filter on max hz level to let Xilica control EQ would work.

If you've got powered subwoofers, I recommend XLR or Euro/Phoenix connectors from the Xilica to the subwoofers.  If not that, then speakON (if the sockets are available on the loudspeaker/subwoofer).  If not that, then RCA or bare wire.

Chris

T9i has a Speakon for high level (amplifier output) signals and RCA for line level. The Xilica is NOT going to drive the Speakon connector. You must go XLR at Xilica to RCA at the sub.

Unless of course I am missing something. That has happened before in this life:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

T9i has a Speakon for high level (amplifier output) signals and RCA for line level. The Xilica is NOT going to drive the Speakon connector. You must go XLR at Xilica to RCA at the sub.

Unless of course I am missing something. That has happened before in this life:)

That makes sense.  

Can anyone explain the Xilica input channel controls vs the output controls?  I don’t understand the reason for setting PEQ on the input side and then again on the output side.

Also, what is GEQ at bottom of screen?

thanks, TedB5F09E13-4039-4650-8594-A0A4ACC11BE0.thumb.jpeg.e49ea18062253cc9d30cf292fdb29a4a.jpeg

Any PEQs applied to an input are going to follow with that input channel to ANY and ALL output(s) it is assigned to. It can then be further modified in an output channel. This is also true of any of the input modifiers...delay, compressor etc...

The inputs also have a 31 band GEQ and its settings will follow that input channel to ANY and ALL outputs.

6 minutes ago, VDS said:

Has anybody found a comprehensive source of info on X console? Other than this forum I cant find much.  

The Help tab doesn't Help....much:)

You do have the unit manual? It also assumes a lot of knowledge of the user. Active Digital Crossovers 101 it is not.

16 minutes ago, babadono said:

You've found this I assume:

Yes, great for getting set up, but not much after that.  It’s surprising how little I can find about using X console from people who use it.  

19 minutes ago, VDS said:

It’s surprising how little I can find about using X console from people who use it.

Most of them are too busy trying to make a living---this is pro gear :) We're the silly ones using it in our homes.

• Like 1

If you are looking for general guidance on DSP crossovers, in the past I typically looked at the ElectroVoice documentation on the Dx38 or the DC-One for better explanations. The advice in those user manuals doesn't mirror exactly what Xilica provides, but it is useful for those unfamiliar with DSP crossovers. 

Other than that, you can look at the miniDSP forum and YouTube videos.

Chri

• 1 year later...

I have the xp4080 and would like to make a high shelf for my Celestion axi2050 driver. I know how to do hp and lp, but I cannot see how to make a HS with Xilica. I read somewhere you d o it on the I put, but I see nothing for a high shelf.

23 minutes ago, NBPK402 said:

I have the xp4080 and would like to make a high shelf for my Celestion axi2050 driver. I know how to do hp and lp, but I cannot see how to make a HS with Xilica. I read somewhere you d o it on the I put, but I see nothing for a high shelf.

From the manual, it looks like you just change the filter type from PEQ to the desired type in the input or output EQ.

image.thumb.png.b380274ce131433f8685bd78d33dc3c5.png