Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chris A

Xilica XP active crossover integration into my system

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, babadono said:

and then after a cocktail or TWELVE fughettabouditt.

I agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, babadono said:

HeHe...I saw what you did there:)

What? 🥃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my XP-3060 arrived yesterday, and as luck would have it I have some time today to try to figure this thing out.

There is an overwhelming number of things you can do with this thing compared to my Ashly units. I know I am going to need help when I can figure out what questions to ask. Setting up crossover points will be task one. This unit is going to run my LR 3 way front speakers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tromprof said:

Well, my XP-3060 arrived yesterday, and as luck would have it I have some time today to try to figure this thing out.

There is an overwhelming number of things you can do with this thing compared to my Ashly units. I know I am going to need help when I can figure out what questions to ask. Setting up crossover points will be task one. This unit is going to run my LR 3 way front speakers.

 

Best of luck. Give me the Cliff Notes version when you have it figured out. I'm still wrestling with mine. Fun at times, overwhelming at others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a suggestion, but if you take a measurement with just the individual drivers (i.e., three measurements to cover the entire audible band), you can flatten the response of each driver first. 

 

Then you can look at the relative gains needed on each channel, and set those. 

 

REW allows you to plot the response of all three measurements at the same time, showing you where the best crossover points will likely be.  The last part--setting up the crossover filters--can be done then using whatever filters you choose, but guided by the individual driver/horn performance. 

 

You can set up the crossovers for zero phase growth through the interference bands using a "Danley technique"--see the following for that discussion:

 

 

Feel free to PM me if you've got questions.

 

Chris

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Just a suggestion, but if you take a measurement with just the individual drivers (i.e., three measurements to cover the entire audible band), you can flatten the response of each driver first. 

 

Then you can look at the relative gains needed on each channel, and set those. 

 

REW allows you to plot the response of all three measurements at the same time, showing you where the best crossover points will likely be.  The last part--setting up the crossover filters--can be done then using whatever filters you choose, but guided by the individual driver/horn performance. 

 

You can set up the crossovers for zero phase growth through the interference bands using a "Danley technique"--see the following for that discussion:

 

 

Feel free to PM me if you've got questions.

 

Chris

 

Thanks for all the info you put out here!

I just got it hooked up and actually working! I will be attempting to use REW shortly. I have such a huge tangle of cords with my setup (16 channels) that getting it hooked up right is taking time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only got 13 channels--and I believe that I understand...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a TIP....   

 

If you can permanently plug your Xilica into your home router, you can wirelessly connect to it from your laptop.

Only thing you need to do is assign it an IP address.

 

Not having to be tethered to a USB cable  is so nice...  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Xilica sounds quite good, already a noticeable improvement over the Ashly units. The computer interface is intimidating at first but seems well laid out and I was able to easily input REW numbers for EQ. Next is to more accurately get time delay figures. I am using my old numbers from the Ashly units which were derived from measuring with a tape measure and guessing a bit. Any tips on getting that accurate would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the spectrogram view--it will tell you the mismatch in time alignment between ways in milliseconds. 

 

You can also look at the group delay plot, and after punching the "Generate minimum phase" button under the controls dialog on the upper right side of the window, you should be able to turn on the "excess group delay" trace at the bottom of the plot.  This also tells you how much mismatch that you have by the excess group delay y-axis value.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an example of a 4 ms bass bin time lag, as seen by the "peak energy time" trace:

 

532875988_ExampleSpectrogramTimeMismatch.thumb.jpg.38990df6c07ca7c4b0db2d727eccb004.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same measurement, instead looking at the excess group delay plot:

 

1228710662_ExampleGroupDelayTimeMisalignment(BassBin4ms).thumb.jpg.3535e91246cda1dfdc74fd22b2fe3bd9.jpg

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my right channel. Not sure what I'm looking at.

6-7-19 right.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tromprof said:

This is my right channel. Not sure what I'm looking at.

6-7-19 right.jpg

You can set the defaults in REW to look more the spectrogram plot I showed above using the values found in the settings box in the upper right hand corner (don't set the Scale Top,   or Scale Bottom since those values will auto-scale with the plot):

 

370172294_SpectrogramViewSettings.thumb.jpg.2ac2b1a0c53a16d22a494dbd9884a849.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume I should be looking hard at the crossover points (in my case 600 HZ and 6000 HZ)?

Using the spectrogram values that you show above I don't see anything resembling your time mismatch. I am I still not getting something, or do I already have it very close?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd first set all the values of the dialog box that I posted so that the plot begins to resemble something that's recognizable. 

 

You also need to sweep from something like 10 Hz to 20 kHz.  You're currently showing a sweep of 494 to 506 Hz.  You need at least 2-3 octaves of frequency sweep range to see what's occurring. That's settable in the measure dialog just as you take a sweep. 

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also looks like your "limits" settings are very zoomed-in on the frequency axis.  I'd use the same limits as are found in the "Controls" dialog (...why REW allows you to set limits in two dialog boxes for the spectrogram is odd).  I'd turn the Frequency Axis setting to read "Y-axis" instead of "X-axis". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I think I have something. 

5 ms delay?

left.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...