Using REW to Find Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) settings

Chris A

I have the right channel looking good  enough to run Audyssey or Dirac now. If i can get rid of a spike at 41.3hz (about 4db), and one at 13.2khz... I will have everything in a 6db window. Now I just need to see how to copy the settings to another channel...then I can tune the other 2 channels a bit bit quicker if IU have a starting point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

Now I just need to see how to copy the settings to another channel..

Xilica makes that very easy...once you know how. If  you are using the windows app not the buttons on the front of the unit there is a fairly obvious way to copy things. You select the channel to copy from and to, then a bunch of check boxes to tell it which items to copy. You want things like gain and PEQs but not mixer. Save your "good" stuff to a preset and if you mess up the copy just don't save it, reload the good one and start over.

• Like 3

Xilica makes that very easy...once you know how. If  you are using the windows app not the buttons on the front of the unit there is a fairly obvious way to copy things. You select the channel to copy from and to, then a bunch of check boxes to tell it which items to copy. You want things like gain and PEQs but not mixer. Save your "good" stuff to a preset and if you mess up the copy just don't save it, reload the good one and start over.
I agree 100%, once you figure out how to do stuff in Xilica from XConsole it is very quick!

I had not done that in several years...once I figured it out, I copied my settings to my other channels and then ran REW again and modded them to as close as I could to the first channel I tuned.
With my first setup I had JBL 2360As, Qpies, and I tuned them with my old Xilica XP3060 from the MLP (back in 2015) in a fully treated and soundproof room. When I sold all of my equipment when we moved... I started over with the K402 MEHs, and had Chris tune the setup and it sounded great. Then I decided to get more of that elusive 20hz, and swapped out the Kappa 15Cs, and go with some Celestions extended woofers. They had a much better low bottom end, and then I sold my Yamaha and got the Marantz AV8805A. When I ran Audyssey I discovered that the Marantz was boosting my bass up to flat at 20z, and I would clip at normal listening levels...hence why I needed to retune. I would have loved to have Chris tune it, but it appears he is no longer here, so I had to just try it myself. I did it the basic way and ran REW, matched the levels, and then played with crossover settings. Then I found out I could skip the crossover on one end and just let it roll off naturally.  Once it got past the crossover I kicked it down as low as Ii could. On the other end I used the crossover and it lined right up. Then I started cutting the peaks down and raising some dips (nothing on the bass more than 4DB (and only at 2 frequencies that were not on the extreme bottom end of the woofers). 

Tomorrow I am going to see how the tune fairs from the MLP, and if I need to mod the tune i will, and then save it as another preset.

Then I want to run Audyssey and run REW to see how it changes it...after that I will turn off Audyssey and setup my MiniDSP ddrc88A and tune it with Dirac...then run REW gain and compare the differences. Of course I will also listen to both setups to see which I like better.

I appreciate everyone's help and hope it will sound like it should when I am done. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

How does this look

That looks pretty good to me. Only one wrap of phase and pretty flat. Did you plot the group delay and spectrogram? They can help with time alignment. Also, REW has a way to make snapshots of you plots and save as JPG so you don't have to take a picture of you monitor. Can be easier for looking at plots....but not necessary, just an JFI

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

. I would have loved to have Chris tune it, but it appears he is no longer here

I certainly hope not. He has a wealth of knowledge and is always so helpful  here.I even bought a Xilica and and a XMC-1 figuring if it was good enough for him it was certainly good enough for me. I was selfishly hoping I could lean on his expertise when I get around to setting it all up.It would be a huge loss to the forum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I do not know how to do anything...all I did was adjust + and - to get it as flat as possible. I do know that when Chris did his tune...he said he did not have to do any delays, but that could be because he knows what he is doing and tuned for minimum phase growth. I am sure there is a lot of room for improvement, but I do not know what I am doing.

How do I correct the phase for a starter?

When I did my old JBLs...a guy on Home Theater Shack took a look at it and finished those type of things for me 7 years ago.

If someone would like to look at my Xilica settings and REW settings PM me your email address and I will send them to you.
Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rplace said:

Xilica makes that very easy...once you know how. If  you are using the windows app not the buttons on the front of the unit there is a fairly obvious way to copy things. You select the channel to copy from and to, then a bunch of check boxes to tell it which items to copy.

You can also link channels so that any change made to one is also applied to the other. You can pick only those parameters you want to be common.

• Like 1

Here are the REW runs today from 1 meter for the right channel. I know my waterfalls are horrible, but My floors are marble except for one large rug in front of the MLP. The walls are !' thick Concrete as is the ceiling. Room dimensions 46' long (open floorplan), width is just over 19' and the ceiling is a concave with a peak of 29' high. the 29' high ceiling is only about 30' of the length as there is a 2nd floor with a about a 10' deep loft. the front wall has windows about 10' high and 17' wide with heavy theater curtains covering 13' high and 19' wide. The side wall have 7' width of the wall covered with the same 13' high curtains. Not anywhere near ideal by any means. I do have 4 4' x 2' Roxul acoustic panel on the lower loft wall and side walls, along with 3 4'x 2' Roxul acoustic panels on the sides of my left and right MEHs ( 4" of R60 in a " deep panel). 2 more panels go up the center behind the TV to the top of the curtains, and a Roxul panel in the fireplace that is also 6" deep.

Suggestions and help to get the tune better are appreciated.

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel Horn.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel Horn Spectogram.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel full range.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel full range Waterfall.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel full range Spectograph.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel bass.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel bass Spectogram.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NBPK402 said:

Here are the rest including Xilica settings. The Xilica Input settings (last image) were made by Chris.

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel bass Waterfall.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel horn Xilica.jpg

Mar 09 2020 Right Channel bass Xilica.jpg

JusMar 09 2020 Right Channel Input Xilica.jpg

I am sure Chris will chime in , he 's never been away from the Forum for that long -

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, NBPK402 said:

Can anyone tell me how to make a first order filter for a 550hz crossover setting?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

If inputs 1 and 2 are stereo left and right we can map outputs 1 as left woofer and 2 as left tweeter.   Output 3 can be right woofer and 4 right tweeter.

XConsole 2 in 4 out mapping.JPG

• Like 1

At lower left click "change channel" and choose channel 2.  This is left tweeter overlaying on the LPF you just set for the woofer.  Here choose Bessel (6db/Oct) "1st order" HPF at 550Hz.  The trick for choosing the filter name - Bessel, Butterworth or Linkwitz is to highlight that cell then use the up and down arrows below to change.

XConsole 1st order tweeter overlaid on woofer 550Hz X-Hi-HPF.JPG

• Like 1