What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

10 minutes ago, NADman said:

"The Third Reich at War" by Richard J. Evans.  Over 1100 pages but I find it interesting.

Quote from page 144 by Adolph Hitler  " I am convinced of the powers of my intellect and of decision...The fate of the Reich depends on me alone...I shall shrink from nothing and shall destroy everyone who is opposed to me."

Wow.

Sounds familiar somehow.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NADman said:

"The Third Reich at War" by Richard J. Evans.  Over 1100 pages but I find it interesting.

Quote from page 144 by Adolph Hitler  " I am convinced of the powers of my intellect and of decision...The fate of the Reich depends on me alone...I shall shrink from nothing and shall destroy everyone who is opposed to me."

Wow.

well he did destroy quite a few Masterpieces in his madness and he  reduced Germany from a big cultural society and land  into a very small country  , and the massacres and the Holocaust that almost wiped out the Jewish population of Europe were genocidal--------when the war was about to end, he ordered their entire destruction  with flame throwers  of the worlds rarest paintings and artwork  , what a sad legacy , first looting the Artistic treasures of Europe , then burning them to ashes -  he did more harm to Germany in 30 years than history combined -

Parting The Waters

America In The King Years 1954-63

by Taylor Branch

Recommended by my son, Matthew who is a Nazarene Pastor.  Kind of a timely read at present.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Can you guess I'm having trouble making the italics go away?

On 6/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, BigStewMan said:

does a book of matches count as a book?

The "Close Cover Before Striking School of Ministry, and Heavy Machinery"

This Book produced the Reverend Dr. Billy Sol Hargus.......

Just started Robert Gates's Exercise of Power, a majestic tome on America's place, fall, and possible restoration in the world.  Gates was Secretary of Defense under Bush AND Obama (yes, he was that good and well respected across party lines) and Director of the CIA, inter alia.  As befitting the subject and content, he adopts a Churchillian writing and storytelling style.  Perhaps the best of the current book writing bunch.

I'd like to see him as National Security Adviser in a forthcoming Biden Administration.

LC

• Like 1

Just finished for the umpteenth time, Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air." My all time favorite read. Can't even photo the cover cuz it's toast.

Now on to a reread of this... "The Worst Hard Times."  When there was real hardship in America.

Almost funny how a mask can change that. We don't know hardship. Especially after only a couple months.

IMG_1852.JPG

• Like 1

My mom was one of the Okies shipped to California because my grandfather couldn't feed her. My senior English students read Out of the Dust and I gave her a copy to read. One of the comments she made to me was, "I always wondered why Grandma turned the plates face down."

SSH

16 minutes ago, ssh said:

My mom was one of the Okies shipped to California because my grandfather couldn't feed her. My senior English students read Out of the Dust and I gave her a copy to read. One of the comments she made to me was, "I always wondered why Grandma turned the plates face down."

SSH

Wow, ssh. The poor kids' lungs were filled with dirt, too. Your family is tough. Credos!

• Like 1

The other is from one of my favorite popular historians.  Another Brit.  This isn't his best work but still a well written synopsis of Napoleon's campaigns from 1805 until the end. If you are into military history please read his books about Verdun, and the Algerian Revolution. You will thank me.

s-l640.jpg.1904373d144e632154f27bd10799d0d7.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Well now I have to ask.  Which fraternity?

Beta Tau Epsilon. It no longer exists.  Back in the later 50's national fraternities were banned from all State University of New York campus's, mostly over their racism towards Jews.  So Beta was a local fraternity confined to one campus. This that and the other thing, including the 60's man, lead to its demise from lack of recruitment in the mid 1970's.

It's a shame that Chaucer didn't complete all of the tales that he had planned. When I taught, I tried to point out the life-influences exhibited in an author's writing; Chaucer was one of my favorites to teach and an easy one to link his experience to his stories.

SSH

On 6/27/2020 at 2:27 PM, KlipschFish said:

Just finished for the umpteenth time, Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air." My all time favorite read. Can't even photo the cover cuz it's toast.

Now on to a reread of this... "The Worst Hard Times."  When there was real hardship in America.

Almost funny how a mask can change that. We don't know hardship. Especially after only a couple months.

IMG_1852.JPG

I started this yesterday, thanks to my library, am liking it.  Thanks.

• Like 4