What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

1 hour ago, Audio Flynn said:

Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams are exceptional writers of non fiction.

Yep, and their writings and teachings are avoided in schools. We keep doing the same thing and we keep getting the same results, only now it's getting worse. I have Dismantling America, by Thomas Sowell, on order, and will be getting Intellectuals and Society when I can. I haven't read any of Walter Williams books, but I will when I have time. 

• Thanks 1

Dave Brubeck a life in time by Philip Clark with a forward by Chick Corea.  It’s too early to critique it.

I will always regret not seeing Brubeck live and free at The Detroit Jazz Festival.  When @ShapeShifter was unable to attend, I stayed home.  Brubeck passed shortly thereafter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Dave Brubeck a life in time by Philip Clark with a forward by Chick Corea.  It’s too early to critique it.

I will always regret not seeing Brubeck live and free at The Detroit Jazz Festival.  When @ShapeShifter was unable to attend, I stayed home.  Brubeck passed shortly thereafter.

I saw Mister Brubeck perform here when he was 88, less than a year before he died.  His energy level was very low, but he played well, was in great spirits, and the audience loved him, deservedly so.  He introduced one particular song and said that he had written it before most of his bandmates were born.  Since all of them had white hair, this drew good-natured chuckles from the audience.  It was a very special evening.

The person I really regret not going to see was Prince.  He played at the arena a few blocks from my home, and I foolishly took a pass on going.  I'll be more careful in future.  At least I did go to see Buddy Guy, and he was great!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:04 AM, Islander said:

I saw Mister Brubeck perform here when he was 88, less than a year before he died.  His energy level was very low, but he played well, was in great spirits, and the audience loved him, deservedly so.  He introduced one particular song and said that he had written it before most of his bandmates were born.  Since all of them had white hair, this drew good-natured chuckles from the audience.  It was a very special evening.

The person I really regret not going to see was Prince.  He played at the arena a few blocks from my home, and I foolishly took a pass on going.  I'll be more careful in future.  At least I did go to see Buddy Guy, and he was great!

Dave Brubeck's niece (I think -- some kind of relative), Virginia Brubeck, was in my elementary school class (John Swett, in Oakland).  she was friendly but a bit shy, I thought.  Dave went to graduate school in music at Mills College, where they did admit men to the graduate school only.   I don't know if that was at the time Virginia & I were in John Swett, but it's plausible.  Mills was a few blocks  from both the school and our house.  A wonderful and beautiful campus, with beautiful 1870s/'80s buildings. Mills-Hall-Mills-College-Oakland.jpg

I was grateful for Dave's music, and helped plan a short film to "Far More Drums" in the album Time Further Out.  It was never made, as was true of a number of films I had something to do with.  Oh well.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yep, and their writings and teachings are avoided in schools. We keep doing the same thing and we keep getting the same results, only now it's getting worse. I have Dismantling America, by Thomas Sowell, on order, and will be getting Intellectuals and Society when I can. I haven't read any of Walter Williams books, but I will when I have time. 

Sad commentary when moral economists are marginalized.