What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

On the Reading Assignments, I recently acquired a wonderful book about the forthcoming revisions to the ACI 318-14; "Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete". It's a wonderful read about the mighty changes to the ACI 318 code, it's riddled with suspense and drama. Pick up a copy for someone you love today.

I gots ta know....

20 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Aaron offers great information about his style of BBQ/Smoking Meat on youtube. Very informative, and relatively brief  videos. His BBQ sauce receipt is superb, we all love it, even my supremely picky youngest daughter who usually passes on the BBQ sauce, unless it's "Franklin's".

it's a thumbs up -for me ---

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

How is it?

Rather  interesting , The Author tries  to dissect JFK -

The Book is even a murmur of the Sole personal Character of JFK who as a President  , would Win as All Before him Did ,   and it ends as The President  Himself  was cut down  , a quite remarkable non-finished ending which reflects on the Author reaching the last of his research  too soon   ,  and there is a  missing Chapter  which would  seal  to an End any Serious Presidential Biography , It Must  - 4 Stars  -

"The Watergate Girl" by Jill Wine-Banks. The memoir of the only woman on the team which prosecuted the Watergate burglars.

"A Warning" by Anonymous (A Senior Trump Administration Official). " A behind the scenes portrait of the Trump presidency from the anonymous senior offical whose first words of warning about the president rocked the nation's capital."

Problem is, with the pandemic the libraries are closed to the public and inter-library book loans can't happen. So browsing the shelves is out and if it's not in the local library's catalog, I can't get it. I have to reserve it at the local library. They notify me when it's ready for pickup. I have to call them when I arrive at the library where they will walk out the front door and place the books on the passenger seat.

When I tell them "That ain't gonna work; I don't have a cell phone so how am I gonna call you when I arrive?", I get dumb silence, a "hold on" and after a wait they figure it out. It's happened to me multiple times. I think they're discriminating against people without cell phones. Just for that I'm gonna go tear down some statues...

"Atlas Shrugged" for about the fourth time since I was in my twenties. I still can't believe how prescient Ayn Rand was. A great tome on how things will repeat themselves in human action when history is both ignored and rewritten by someone who lived under tyranny. 

• Like 1

I think you have great patience, or persistence, if you can read any Rand four times, lol! It is wholesome to reread, however.

SSH

I had to read it and listen to it being read aloud five times a day, for fifty minutes each period (with discussion and commentary) for about six of my teaching years. 

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

"Atlas Shrugged" for about the fourth time since I was in my twenties. I still can't believe how prescient Ayn Rand was. A great tome on how things will repeat themselves in human action when history is both ignored and rewritten by someone who lived under tyranny. 

Yeah, we ran straight in to what the hobo told about what was suffered at the Twentieth Century Motor Company: When people are rewarded on need, rather than ability, they show less signs of ability and more needs.  

It's been many years since I read that book. I still love Dagny. 😍

4 hours ago, ssh said:

I had to read it and listen to it being read aloud five times a day, for fifty minutes each period (with discussion and commentary) for about six of my teaching years. 

Who is John Galt?

I can imagine a math teacher, every day, all day,  every year, year after year, same math problems. I feel for teachers.