What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

On 9/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, Chris A said:

I thought I'd give this one a try (the author passed away yesterday at age 59, RIP.  He was a professor of anthropology at the London School of Economics):

Bullshit_Jobs.jpg

An excerpt from Wikipedia:

I'm sure there are many other jobs that comply with the requirements.  Large corporations are actually quite adept at creating them.  I don't have one of those type of jobs, unless you count the times that I have to be "socially acceptable" with my significant other...😉

Should be a fun read.

Chris

I'll wager the govt. is the best at creating these type of jobs.

5 hours ago, juniper said:

Is this this a joke?

If your question was directed at those books I read for research then, no, it is not a joke. Having read those, I have moved on to some other books for additional research. I read for doctoral work in biblical counseling, and I read for future writing projects that I am interested in, or for subjects that I need to bone up on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foxman said:

If your question was directed at those books I read for research then, no, it is not a joke. Having read those, I have moved on to some other books for additional research. I read for doctoral work in biblical counseling, and I read for future writing projects that I am interested in, or for subjects that I need to bone up on.

I should add that I did skip one of those books, the 7 Money types, because after skimming through some of the book, I disagreed with the premise entirely and could see no real value for what I was after. Once I am more interested in off the wall theological views, then I may revisit that book. I did substitute a handful of others though.

11 hours ago, oldtimer said:

What did Jesus say to do with one's money again?

(some union guy in Chicago was asking)

Asking for a friend? LOL

Money is a stewardship responsibility. Give back to the owner of all things the first fruits of your labor (Tithe). Then give generously over an above the tithe in proportion to your ability. Be generous out of your abundance or your lack towards others and you will be blessed and you will initiate worship. Learn to delay gratification through contentment, and invest in your eternal future by leveraging your time, talents, and treasures today.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Foxman said:

Money is a stewardship responsibility. Give back to the owner of all things the first fruits of your labor (Tithe). Then give generously over an above the tithe in proportion to your ability. Be generous out of your abundance or your lack towards others and you will be blessed and you will initiate worship. Learn to delay gratification through contentment, and invest in your eternal future by leveraging your time, talents, and treasures today.

You should check out these... I am friends of the authors (Corbett and Fikkert). The first "When Helping Hurts", has some follow on books.

Bruce

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+helping+hurts&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprfrzaaC7AIVjYbACh2sJgpEEAAYAiAAEgLtDfD_BwE&hvadid=409931814886&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9013290&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=844592295404138110&hvtargid=kwd-12819252731&hydadcr=22537_11318391&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_455ybg9t4f_e

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I have that book and skimmed through it. Excellent work. I have cited that book on a few occasions. Thanks for the reminder.

IMG_4303.jpg

I bought this about 30 years ago..............

My wife is extremely interested in canine behavior. One her favorite lecturers on the subject is Robert Sapolsky. Apparently Sapolsky has cited this book many times and my wife recently mentioned it. I tell her we have it, it's on the shelf in my office. Now she's reading it. Probably a good time for me to revisit it too.

Chaos - Making a New Science by James Gleick.

Chaos Gleick OReB.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 12:57 AM, Chris A said:

515FWPyZ-5L.jpg

Just finished this one yesterday.  If you watched the series ("Chernobyl"), believe it that the book is even better, and the series was pretty darn good.  The book makes the understanding of what happened much more real--and understandable.  Heroes and villains aren't nearly as one-dimensional in the book.  And the story is pretty different than the TV series.

Chris

I watched this series, but I've not read the book yet, but I will definitely read it!!

Everyone should know about such global catastrophes because this is our history, which took place relatively recently. I think this has had a damn effect on the ecology all over the world, and the consequences of this disaster are still there, especially in the place where it happened. I have been studying the topic of ecology for a long time, and I want to note that this disaster passed not without consequences. Recently I finished a series of articles on this topic, using the service that I found on Pick The Writer. And I learned new facts not known to me before and a lot of interesting information

Edited by JonathanBrown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have or a family member has purchased every book in this series 

It’s a tradition in our family to get the new Jack Reacher book for my birthday 🎉 

This is the latest book recently released 

I will get a start on it this weekend 

Jack Reacher 

The Sentinel 

50662017._SY475_.jpg