What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2017 at 8:36 AM, oldtimer said:

I totally agree about Citizen Kane.  Then again, most here know my general attitude about "film."   I would be hard pressed to name a best or even favorite American novel, but Moby Dick certainly left an impression.  I like Faulkner, too.  I suppose our favorites reveal something of ourselves, as well as our dislikes, or perhaps no so favorite, even though they have been praised.  For example, I slogged through Annie Proulx's The Shipping News.  It won a Pulitzer.  All it did was make me angry that a complete sentence could not be produced with any regularity.  The depressing tone was nothing compared to that.  If I can read something as depressing as Solzhenitsyn (I know, not American) and like it, then I know for sure that was not the issue.

It's been years since I read The Shipping News. She did well enough at making the reader, somewhat, feel what being in Newfoundland is like. I can't believe it could win an award either. Then again, the awards produced by the movie from her other book says a lot about the judgement of the judges.    

I did all the reading I ever wanted to do in college & the military.  I still enjoy a good read though.  I've been hooked on Brad Thor's stuff the past couple years.  He always seems to have some good stuff that moves and relates to some of the black op stuff going on in the world today.  It's some fun stuff that moves.  Nothing too analytical for me anymore!

Decided last summer to grab what I hadn't read so walked outta Barnes & Noble w/8.  Two I'd read so praying they save me some money and let me return them.  Who knows but I've read most of his stuff.  It moves and gives me something to do for about 3 days.  lol  Saved my receipt so gonna have to go back and fill some holes at some point.  Maybe something else will catch my eye.  Worthlessness can be a good thing I guess.