What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

8 hours ago, Kidd said:

reading a few books about concentration camps in ww2 .

My wife and I toured Dachau, outside of Munich, Germany. It was a grey overcast day and not many people were there. Very somber and we felt obligated to stand in front of and understand every exhibit and we didn't buy that the "townspeople didn't know what was going on behind the walls."

DachauGa.jpg.5cd39dd8d0142153f74797ce8b3e5f3f.jpgDachauOv.jpg.9a3c3cced651a6bf116ad7b56006166f.jpg

• Thanks 1

I just finished reading Beeswing - a memoir by guitarist Richard Thompson. It spans 8 years from 1967 to 1975 and provides some interesting insight into the London music scene in the late 60’s. It’s a thoughtful and a fun read.

henry.jpg.87c8ac611c98489ad64a19baf1886efa.jpg

Edited by Joe Carter

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has noted this before... just finished Vol. 1 of 8, of the Nimitz Graybook. Fleet Admiral  Nimitz WWII communications, estimates and summaries. Dry but amazing digital copy of his communications, and basis for decisions and interaction with peers, superiors and direct reports.  Fills in some background for history buffs. Issued in 2014 I think by American Naval Records Society.  Total work is over 4,000 digitized pages, free to download... just search Nimitz Graybook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

First post in this section of the forum. I have a question for the history buffs here. I am interested in the writings of Alfred Thayer Mayhan, mainly his Influence of Seapower on History Trilogy. To get these books is easy enough; what i want to know and haven´t seen yet, are well annotaded editions of Mayhans works. Can anyone here maybe give me some pointers as to what books to look out for. Thanks!

• Like 1

Overly heroic portrayal, but an excellent description of America's  pre-WW II situation and its incredible industrial preparation for WW II.  No wonder Biden wants to spend a lot of money on rebuilding, but our country was also in a unique place with enormous room to expand industrially and its armed forces.  We made the most of it, really stomped the enemy, and established world leadership for most likely well over a century, thanks to leadership giants like Henry Kaiser, Knudson, etc.

-- Larry

https://www.amazon.com/Freedoms-Forge-American-Business-Produced/dp/0812982045/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=freedom's+forge&qid=1623495357&sr=8-1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

First post in this section of the forum. I have a question for the history buffs here. I am interested in the writings of Alfred Thayer Mayhan, mainly his Influence of Seapower on History Trilogy. To get these books is easy enough; what i want to know and haven´t seen yet, are well annotaded editions of Mayhans works. Can anyone here maybe give me some pointers as to what books to look out for. Thanks!

2833913._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Atlas-Comparative-Geopolitics-Worlds/dp/006273153X

• Like 2

Antique Maps of the Nineteenth Century World

by Robert Sidney Martin

This description may be from another edition of this product. 1989, oversize hardcover edition (of a work first published in 1851 as: The Illustrated Atlas and Modern History of the World), the text is an abridged version of the original book, all illustrations / maps from the original included here. Portland House, NY, 180 pages.

ISBN: 0517678810

ISBN13: 9780517678817

On 4/11/2021 at 3:30 PM, Joe Carter said:

I just finished reading Beeswing - a memoir by guitarist Richard Thompson. It spans 8 years from 1967 to 1975 and provides some interesting insight into the London music scene in the late 60’s. It’s a thoughtful and a fun read.

henry.jpg.87c8ac611c98489ad64a19baf1886efa.jpg

Amazing guitarist, quite funny live. Great lyricist as well. I imagine the book is vreat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 4:45 PM, oldtimer said:

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

One has to wonder if the translation of this passage from Aramic into Greek may have missed something...

{Edit: https://stantlitore.com/2018/06/01/a-camel-through-the-eye-of-a-needle-and-other-wild-tales-of-translation/ 

From the link: Camel is “kamelon” and rope is “kamilon.” In Latin and English, of course, “camel” and “rope” are really easy to tell apart. But, in both Aramaic and Greek, they are not."}