What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

How did you take the picture?

Cell phone, minor cropping and exposure fiddling....why?

EDIT: Ha! I knew being from you it couldn't be what it seemed. So I actually read it out loud and then laughed. Well done.

Big week next week in East Lansing. Both are undefeated. Bourbon chocolates from KY versus Joe's Stone Crabs are the bet between me and my sister the MSU grad living in Miami

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sophiass091 said:

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Have you read it before?  I’m curious about your opinion.  I hope you enjoy it.

I forced myself to re-read that a few years ago.  I still didn’t see why it is widely considered to be the great American novel; seems to be a bit of the emperor’s new clothes to me.  To describe Melville as wordy is an understatement.  A single sentence can consume more than a full page. 

I’m not saying it’s not good, or not worth reading (even more than once), I’m saying, IMO, it’s overrated.

• Like 2

God 4.0 by Robert Ornstein

Ornstein is a psychologist I first read in the mid 1970s, when his book On the Psychology of Time was transformative for me, so I have high hopes for this one.  I'm on page 96, and I honestly don't know yet whether it will be as informative as I hope it will be.

God 1.0 is evidently the experiences we infer from the paintings deep within the caves, perhaps part of shamanistic rituals (or not).

God 2.0 comes from Neolithic priests up to 11,000 years ago, up through Mesopotamian religion.

God 3.0 is the concept of "The One behind it all," monotheism (or quasi-monotheism) and the teachers of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.  I'm guessing Akhenaten will be in there somewhere, but I don't see him in the index.

I can hardly wait for God 4.0.  Apparently, it has to do with a "second system" of cognition and consciousness.  From the hints I have read so far, it is related to intuition, moments of insight, perhaps Maslowian peak experiences, but I don't see him in the index either. 

• Like 1

DC Comics Year by Year

2010 Printing DK Visual

History is interesting, in comic book format...of course

Can't wait to see what they have done to the Characters in the 2022 version, unrecognizable?

Library find, $1

9781405350808.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by by Nick Bostrom. Found a recommendation when I was browsing https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/artificial-intelligence/. I liked the book shows the development of AI, but it also states that we need to be more focused on the dangers of superintelligence.

Edited by riddleen