What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm not sure how I made it to 68 without having read it. The style and language make it a challenging read so I've taken a couple of breaks with lighter fare like selections from Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series.

• Like 3

Decided to start this. Written by my best friend of over 50 years. It to him years to research the book. Quite fascinating read, even if he wasn't my best friend.

The cover wasn't picked by hime, unfortunately, as it has nothing to do with the book.

20210923_210410~2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, CWelsh said:

I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm not sure how I made it to 68 without having read it. The style and language make it a challenging read so I've taken a couple of breaks with lighter fare like selections from Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series.

That is a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That is a favorite of mine.

Which one? 😄

I love my german edition of The Count. It's got the illustrations from the original french edition in it:

Alexandre-Dumas+Der-Graf-von-Monte-Cristo-Band-1.jpg

Alexandre-Dumas+Der-Graf-von-Monte-Cristo-Band-1.jpg

As for Terry Pratchett; I've started switching out all my paperbacks with the hardback University Edition. Nice little books. I love the ones featuring DEATH.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The  Count . . . 

You German edition is stunning.

Yes, it's really nice, i'm sure there must be something like it in the English as well. It sits right next to a few selected volumes from Easton Press (The Hobbit, Asimov's The Gods themselves and a few others.). I think, if there's a similar English edition, Easton Press would make them. Might be expensive though...

• Like 1

I had beautiful collector editions of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy that I lost when our house burned. Beyond being beautiful books, the set had a particular personal significance so I don't intend to replace them, but do miss having them.

"Cruising for Conspirators, How a New Orleans DA Prosecuted the Kennedy Assassination as a Sex Crime" by Alecia P. Long, University of North Carolina Press, 2021.

Some of you know I am a New Orleans historian, and I researched this case myself some years ago. Professor Long has done great job of presenting a sprawling and sometimes incoherent saga in a clear concise way.   

• Like 3