What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

World War Z right now, haha.  I just finished reading two pretty heavy books, so I went for something a bit lighter this time.

Just finished Midnight at Chernobyl and With the Old Breed. 

If you have never read With the Old Breed, you should.  It gave me an entirely different perspective on WWII and also on life in general.  It has made me extremely grateful for the life I have.

We just saw the Joan Didion documentary, so I'm reading her novel Play It As It Lays.  Just started, but as interesting as always. 

As for her nonfiction,  The Year of Magical Thinking may be the saddest book I've ever read, but strangely cathartic.  The collection The White Album was excellent, also, but I think she was a little hard on Bishop Pike.

I read a lot and also like to listen to audiobooks when walking using an AfterShokz headset. The Audible version of Mutiny on the Bounty https://www.amazon.com/Mutiny-on-Bounty-Peter-FitzSimons-audiobook/dp/B07GH34Y6C/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1SE1KLS8X7A8O&keywords=mutiny+on+the+bounty+book&qid=1639860855&sprefix=mutiny+on+the+bouty%2Caps%2C2588&sr=8-4 is absolutely amazing. I'd read the book previously and found parts of it tedious, but the Audible version really brings it alive.

I'm reading now Mario Puzo, the books are small, read in one breath, now I read The Sicilian, before this I read the godfather epic gangster drama. When I am not at home and with me only a smartphone, I usually provide cheap dissertation writing services for students at https://edubirdie.com/cheap-dissertation-writing-services to make a living. But when I read Mario Puzo's Godfather saga, I felt that I have to spend more time with my family. Also want to mention that The Godfather movie was incredibly detailed according to the book itself.

Love Mario Puzo.

Currently reading "Ultralearning" by Scott Young.

"Checklist Manifesto" by Atul Gawande is finished today.

Edited by StaceeJacklyn
  • Like 2

I just finished a book called, Wool, by Hugh Howey. I would call it a dystopian/mystery/adventure, which is not typically my genre of choice, but I recommend it.

My new book is, Juliet Naked by Nick Hornby. Hornby is a favorite of mine and this is a re-read.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, garyrc said:

We just saw the Joan Didion documentary, so I'm reading her novel Play It As It Lays.  Just started, but as interesting as always. 

As for her nonfiction,  The Year of Magical Thinking may be the saddest book I've ever read, but strangely cathartic.  The collection The White Album was excellent, also, but I think she was a little hard on Bishop Pike.

Sad news, just in Dec. 23: Joan Didion has died.

• Like 1

I just got The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield, the Canadian astronaut.  I’m looking forward to reading it, even more because my daughter gave me the hardcover version.  I’ve come to really prefer reading hardcover books, since it gives a more luxurious reading experience, and the books will often sit open when you set them down.

Chris spent months on the ISS and was the mission chief in Houston, so I’m sure he’ll get every technical detail right.  Now to find out if he can imagine and write a great action thriller!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 8:36 AM, Tarheel TJ said:

World War Z right now, haha.  I just finished reading two pretty heavy books, so I went for something a bit lighter this time.

Just finished Midnight at Chernobyl and With the Old Breed. 

If you have never read With the Old Breed, you should.  It gave me an entirely different perspective on WWII and also on life in general.  It has made me extremely grateful for the life I have.

Midnight at Chernobyl is a good read. It brought back memories and made me read more about what they have done since then. Reading The Gulag Archipelago shows more about what happens when people are afraid of stepping out of line, similar to what made Chernobyl more disastrous. I have only read volumes one and two. I have to take a break between volumes and be thankful for what I have. 

• Like 3

Have to admit that I liked Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books. I haven't read the last two. He has a twisted sense of humor for some light reading.

A few others that I recently finished:

One Second After... makes me wonder.

The House of the Seven Gables.. I like the writing style of that timeperiod. 

The Devil in the White City. Just a good read that made me Google more about some of the people, places and things.

• Like 3