What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Destroys the intrinsic value of reading.  We read to small children.  Early in their lives we teach them to read.  Audiobook, really?

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Destroys the intrinsic value of reading.  We read to small children.  Early in their lives we teach them to read.  Audiobook, really?

Well, if the author, or the appointed speaker, can perform the book, instead of just reading it in a monotone, the book could really be brought to life.

However, I get the impression that rather than listening to an audiobook while relaxing on a sofa, with headphones on and eyes closed, many people listen to audiobooks while doing something else, like driving, for example.  How can you get fully absorbed in a story while needing your attention to be mostly somewhere else?

7 hours ago, Islander said:

I got it for Christmas, in hardcover.  I wonder if the audiobook would be fun?  I've never tried one.

I've listened to a few and they can be fun depending on the book and the reader. My preference is to read, though.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Viking Heart: How Scandinavians Conquered the World, by Arthur Herman.  Seeing as how 

"Whether of Scandinavian descent or not, after all, one can’t help but wonder how a small group of Scandinavians perched on the outer edge of Europe could have had such an outsized influence on how European history unfolded."

This just arrived, supposed to have a lot of shipbuilding history, including the invention of the square sale, a keel, large mast, etc. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm systematically working my way through Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. I've read individual volumes over the years but decided to start at the beginning and read all 41. I'm currently reading Sourcery, which is the fifth book, so I've go a way to go.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 4:52 PM, Travis In Austin said:

The Viking Heart: How Scandinavians Conquered the World, by Arthur Herman.  Seeing as how 

"Whether of Scandinavian descent or not, after all, one can’t help but wonder how a small group of Scandinavians perched on the outer edge of Europe could have had such an outsized influence on how European history unfolded."

I'll have to give this a look.  I just found out I'm more Scandinavian than anything else, based on DNA.  A big surprise! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, garyrc said:

Timshel!

Yes, Thou Mayest.

There are several one-liners that I wish I could remember. 

"Well, Samuel rode lightly on top of a book and he balanced happily among ideas the way a man rides white rapids in a canoe. But Tom got into a book, crawling and Grove between the covers, tunneled like a mole among the thoughts and came out with the book all over his face and hands."

• Like 1