What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

On 10/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Was there anyone who didn't have at least one of these, and a book or LP of Rod McKuen poetry?

Yeah. I realize we aren't using the traditional bottles but these had significant meaning. I was taking care of my mom on New Years 2000 and my wife (girlfriend at the time) came to visit and we had those 2 bottles of champagne. Mom died shortly after but happy she made it through the millennium so we had to do something special with them....

On 10/11/2022 at 12:50 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Wait..what?  Wine bottle drip candles from the 1970s? WOWZA!

On a lighter note, since that time they invented dripless candles which I didn't figure out for about 5 years. 🙄

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Was there anyone who didn't have at least one of these, and a book or LP of Rod McKuen poetry?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.pQ9NlvPWrAvU__bw6SNPrAAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=27482199ceacb2b7d60e50304928eb8e9592e364a55083f4b219ebb5f8420220&ipo=images

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/98/8c/f7988cb2ec3dc946c72bd6dff9a00d6c.jpg

Have to admit I NEVER liked JM, and used regular candle holders.

I need to get back to my DAW thread... been crazy at work and exhausted when I get home.

• Like 1

@Marvelthat makes two of us.  Bigger fish to fry than listening to Rod.  lol  Pass the Boone's Farm over here.  Musta been good stuff cause it stood the test of time around here.  lolol  Looks like it's still around today.  I found 6 flavors and took one of each to a high school class reunion once.  Lotsa laffs from the majority who wouldn't even taste it today so I left it on the table.  Don't know who took it home but it vanished.  😂  Poor Rod and his poetry just never made it around here.  :)

https://www.seriouseats.com/drinking-the-bottom-shelf-boones-farm

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Wines of Our Youth: I recall Boone's Farm Strawberry at an all-day concert in 1975 in Memphis. My cronies were fonder of Mateus rose, in those oval bottles. These days I only drink whites, red wines set off my allergies. The other wine of yore was Mogen David aka Mad Dog 20/20. Consumed with typical teenage exuberance, that usually led to running into the bathroom/woods to get sick and swearing never to touch it again.

Let's not forget that quintessential teen party concoction, Purple Jesus Punch. Recipes vary, but all guaranteed to knock your head off and your stomach out.

Ahh...Purple jezus. take an Igloo cooler and fill halfway with ice. Add 1/2 gallon Everclear-1.2 gallon CHEAP vodka-top off with grape KoolAid or similar toxin. Drink until you fight puke or pass out. Repeat. :D

The resilience of youth...I miss that ability. Not that I'd do the above if I could but there's a few other things I'd engage in were I made of steel and rubber like I was then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, ssh said:

I hope you can recommend In Cold Blood. To me, it's an almost perfectly written book that started a "new" genre. 

SSH

Yes, it's one to read. I remember seeing something about the murders years ago. From the book,  it's easy to see that the author spent a lot of time gathering information for the book. 

• Like 1