Watch TV, Listen to Music

babadono

Well Thanksgiving is upon us. I want to have the football games on the TV but most of the time I want music playing not TV audio. Back in the day this was an easy task. TV audio feed into Aux input on pre amp and music sources into their inputs(CD/phono/tuner). Then just switch betweenst them, no remote, had to actually walk over to the preamp and turn a switch.

But now with my fancy Marantz AVR , Oppo bluray/CD player, Dish TV box, Samsung TV(and of course wonderful Klipsch speakers) I can't do this? Am I missing something? I know I could bring my mixing board up from the basement system and make this happen. But is there an easier way?

I run a Yamaha HTR to Samsung TV. HDMI inputs are 1. FiOS 2. Roku 3. DVD. Each connected with HDMI and 1 HDMI out to the TV. I can use the HTR remote for switching between HDMI sources with the HTR OFF or on. I can listen to any audio source and still have the TV on whatever channel. The HDMI sources are independent of the audio sources. Is this not the case with your AVR?

Yea I'm trying to understand how to do it. Have not figured it out yet. Seems the desire to do this is pretty basic. But there have been other basic things this AVR cannot do also. The manual says you can change the video source to a different input than the audio you are playing----but not if the video source is HDMI!!??  WTF?

Time for a new AVR??

26 minutes ago, babadono said:

Time for a new AVR??

No, I think you are good with the AVR.

Even if you do this on a temporary basis it is easy peasy and will take you 5 minutes to setup.

On the TV, run the cable IN to the TV.  Now you have your video, and just run whatever music you want in the AVR which is independent from the TV signal.

If you want to hear TV, simply run an audio RCA cable from the TV OUT to the AVR.  The AVR will control that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

No, I think you are good with the AVR.

Even if you do this on a temporary basis it is easy peasy and will take you 5 minutes to setup.

On the TV, run the cable IN to the TV.  Now you have your video, and just run whatever music you want in the AVR which is independent from the TV signal.

If you want to hear TV, simply run an audio RCA cable from the TV OUT to the AVR.  The AVR will control that.

Thanks. I was hoping to do this by just throwing a switch in the endless AVR menus but alas I fear its a nogo. I would like to make this second direct HDMI connection straight from Dish TV box to TV semi permanent. So I need an HDMI splitter? Or switch box?

14 minutes ago, Schu said:

how is it audio channels are independent of video channels if you are using HDMI only?

If this question was directed to me, I can honestly say I don't know the answer. And apparently with my AVR they cannot be independent. But I THINK in this day and age they COULD be.

8 minutes ago, babadono said:

If this question was directed to me, I can honestly say I don't know the answer. And apparently with my AVR they cannot be independent. But I THINK in this day and age they COULD be.

the only way I know how to is... a "B" secondary area output playing music, using pre outs or using RCA input independent of HDMI as a second source.

11 minutes ago, baron167 said:

What model is your AVR?

Marantz SR7007. Got it in a package deal with my speakers.(4 to 5 years ago) Knew nothing about it prior but it came at such a good price as part of the package. And really it has been a good performer.

In my setup I can select the HDMI input (TV, Roku, DVD) and with the TV on watching say a football game, I can then select an AV input to put that sound through the speakers. If needed, I can then turn up the sound on the TV and the sound will come out of the TV speakers or I can select the HDMI input number to put that sound (matching what's on the TV) through the surround speakers. I would think your Marantz can do the same thing. Perhaps it's an "advanced" setup setting a little buried in the setup menus?

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 4.54.10 PM.png

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

I would think your Marantz can do the same thing. Perhaps it's an "advanced" setup setting a little buried in the setup menus?

Yea you would think so...but NO. Manual says if audio is playing from say CD player you cannot select video from any HDMI source. I think I will pursue wvu80's suggestion for a quick fix before Thanksgiving.

But basically on your AVR the video and audio paths are separate. That's cool. The way it should be. What brand and model is yours?

4 hours ago, babadono said:

@cecaa850 Is this gonna work for me?

If you want a member to be notified of a post type the @ like you did then start typing the members name.  When you type enough letters to see the member select them from the list like this @babadono. I never saw your notification. 

The referenced box will give you 2 identice hdmi signals if that's what you're after.  I've found Monoprice's tech support outstanding when presented with situations such as this.

16 hours ago, babadono said:

Yea you would think so...but NO. Manual says if audio is playing from say CD player you cannot select video from any HDMI source. I think I will pursue wvu80's suggestion for a quick fix before Thanksgiving.

But basically on your AVR the video and audio paths are separate. That's cool. The way it should be. What brand and model is yours?

SOoooo, after sitting behind my keyboard at work all day insisting this is how my Yamaha RX-V473 functions, I decided to verify everything after I got home last night. Alas, I am wrong, mistaken and spouting BS! All function buttons directly affect the TV. Watching TV and listening to another audio source simultaneously is not possible. Lucky for me, my 2-channel system is in the same room allowing me to have the game on and listen to music through it. My apologies; I am sorry. ~Richard

P.S. Good luck with the solution and please let us know how it works out.