Watch TV, Listen to Music

babadono

25 minutes ago, baron167 said:

SOoooo, after sitting behind my keyboard at work all day insisting this is how my Yamaha RX-V473 functions, I decided to verify everything after I got home last night. Alas, I am wrong, mistaken and spouting BS! All function buttons directly affect the TV. Watching TV and listening to another audio source simultaneously is not possible. Lucky for me, my 2-channel system is in the same room allowing me to have the game on and listen to music through it. My apologies; I am sorry. ~Richard

P.S. Good luck with the solution and please let us know how it works out.

@baron167 Thanks for triple checking this. So this not being able view video with different audio is a design flaw IMHO of a lot(maybe all) of AVRs. There is probably some technical issue with HDMI that makes this very difficult if not impossible with the current hardware/firmware. I'll bet it all comes down $$$.

@CECAA850 thanks for that. Apparently had not looked at it deeply enough which was @Schu 's suggestion. So it appears I could run my main L/R out the Zone2 or 3 preouts and at least get 2 channel audio from a different source while having the TV on. Still have to juggle cables to get main L/R speakers back to the TV.:angry:

I have the HDMI splitter headed my way from Monoprice. We'll see how that goes.

HDMI splitter worked first time I plugged everything in. Thank the Lord for small favors. Now with a couple clicks on remote buttons I can have TV video without sound and CD audio. Or switch back to TV. Note to self: make sure its set for regular TV viewing before turning off, better half would never figure it out and you know who would be in the doghouse. The video looks a little different direct from Dish TV box as opposed to going through the AVR but I trust that's just settings on the TV or AVR that I can figure out later.

Thanks to all.