Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
jason str

$100 La Scala cabinets brought back from dead.

Recommended Posts

Some of you may remember my quest to replace my La Scala pair i had to sell during hard times, work is just about completed minus another coat of Polyurethane and installing horns and crossover.

 

Luckily i had a pair of 15" 3/4 BB blanks to use for the woofer spacers, i would have rather used thinner stock for this but i hate to waste good material.

 

Poly is still wet and a bit blotchy but looks great otherwise.

 

Will post more pictures when all work is completed..

 

Links to related work completed.

 

Type A 4500 question

 

$100 La Scala cabinets in Milwaukee.

 

May be building something different.

 

 

 

 

cannon 023.JPG

cannon 025.JPG

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look nice! What kind of poly did you use on them? I have been working with Polycrylic lately and have not been very happy with the results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Those look nice! What kind of poly did you use on them? I have been working with Polycrylic lately and have not been very happy with the results.

 

Varathane Flat Poly, goes on White but dries clear.

 

My first time using Matte.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Looks good....why do you want woofer spacers in them??

 

Using Eminence Kappa 15C woofers, the gasket is much thinner than the factory K-33 and the spacer is insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jason str said:

 

Varathane Flat Poly, goes on White but dries clear.

 

My first time using Matte.

What was your thinking in choosing this particular brand, or type?  It's a little expensive, but good stuff usually is. 

 

I used poly to seal my CF-4's and it always produces small micro-bubbles, but they are easily removed with 600 grit light sanding or even a fingernail.  I think I used a satin finish, ie, not flat, and not gloss.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jason str said:

 

Varathane Flat Poly, goes on White but dries clear.

 

My first time using Matte.

Thanks Jason I will have to check it out. The minwax polycrylic always ends up with bubbles etc even if I am meticulous about brushing so I am wanting to look at some different options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What was your thinking in choosing this particular brand, or type?  It's a little expensive, but good stuff usually is. 

 

I used poly to seal my CF-4's and it always produces small micro-bubbles, but they are easily removed with 600 grit light sanding or even a fingernail.  I think I used a satin finish, ie, not flat, and not gloss.

 

I have seen what you are talking about but never had the problem myself, as far as i can remember anyways.

 

Use the recommended brush, proper preparation and clean the surface well before applying is all i can recommend to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polyurethane is completed, 3 coats did the trick.

 

Braces ready to install tomorrow, got the new Baltic Birch as close to the same color as the old cabinet as i could by mixing up some darker stain and numerous coats.

 

Horns, crossover and wiring is completed. Can't wait to get them hooked up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look awesome......If you sand the mid horn mold seams and paint with rust-oleum black enamel makes them really pop. Or use any color they have to make them really pop..lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow....those came out nice.....how long did it take you.

Something about that finish on La Scala's and Heresy's that I really like.

 

 

G.E.M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ricktate said:

Those look awesome......If you sand the mid horn mold seams and paint with rust-oleum black enamel makes them really pop. Or use any color they have to make them really pop..lol

 

The last thing i want to do right now is more sanding, for now they will stay as is.

 

These K-400's are really nice compared to others i have seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldred said:

Wow....those came out nice.....how long did it take you.

Something about that finish on La Scala's and Heresy's that I really like.

 

 

G.E.M.

 

Stripping and sanding on and off for a week or so, been working on the project during free time much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...