$100 La Scala cabinets brought back from dead.

jason str

Those look really good! I would love to be able to see the matte finish in person. They look like they have a more natural glow to them rather than a highly polished surface which I prefer with wood.

26 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Get in line youngster....

They are not LS but this guy has some $100 Heresy cabs in UT:

http://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/42161399?cat=&lpid=&search=klipsch heresy&ad_cid=4

• Like 1

22 hours ago, twk123 said:

Thanks Jason I will have to check it out. The minwax polycrylic always ends up with bubbles etc even if I am meticulous about brushing so I am wanting to look at some different options.

Me too.  I make my environment as dust free as possible but the bubbles are still there.  I don't find it difficult at all to remove them and leave a perfectly smooth surface.  The secret is is to let the poly dry a couple of days so it is hard and not pliable.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Me too.  I make my environment as dust free as possible but the bubbles are still there.  I don't find it difficult at all to remove them and leave a perfectly smooth surface.  The secret is is to let the poly dry a couple of days so it is hard and not pliable.

So do you let it harden then wet sand to get the bubbles out? I think I am going to try a 2 stage approach I found today online. You brush on as many layers as needed to get the desired thickness and sand with 300 grit between each coat. Then for the final coat you spray it after sanding so you have the thickness of the brushed on and the evenness of the spray. 

59 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I might have missed an earlier thread but did you collect the parts from crites etc and put them together in the cabs?

The Autotransformer was from Bob.

The woofers and rest of the crossover parts from Parts express.

Tweets  from Marvel.

K-55 from set of Heresy i parted out.

K-400 horns picked up used.

Lumber from Owl Lumber.

Finish from Menards and Home Depot.

Rest of the hardware is parts i had in stock.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Are you shaking the can or stirring it ?

Shaking will probably cause bubbles.

Avoid foam brushes.

A couple of things, last things first:

The Minwax polyurethane can recommended 2 coats.  I was going to go with three coats, but I was satisfied with two coats so I went with that.

I sanded with a rubber sanding block initially, I think with 120.  I then went with my stain for  two coats.  Dry time was 4 hours, but I always went 24 hours between coats.

I applied the Poly for one coat, then got the micro bubbles, which I expected due to a Youtube vid.  Let dry 24 hours, lightly dry sanded by hand (no block) with 600.  Cleaned with dry rag, then put on last poly coats.  Fewer micro bubbles, let stand 3 days.  Light hand sanding dry with 600 then cleaned with mineral spirits.  Nice satin texture and sheen, perfectly smooth.

It took me a little over a week to put on the stain and poly.  I was deliberately slow to allow the poly to completely cure between coats.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jason str said:

Are you shaking the can or stirring it ?  Shaking will probably cause bubbles. Avoid foam brushes.

Agree with all.  Slow stirring on the can, NO shaking.  I applied my poly with a high quality brush.

I was expecting the small bubbles.  Minwax has a nice video on that.   I'll get the vid link later, I've got to go for now.

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Agree with all.  Slow stirring on the can, NO shaking.  I applied my poly with a rag.

I was expecting the small bubbles.  Minwax has a nice video on that.   I'll get the vid link later, I've got to go for now.

I apply my Poly with a Purdy brush.

Never used a rag but did use a foam brush for the inner parts of the La Scala bass bin only because a brush would not fit and only one side at a time so i did not swipe my hand across a wet surface and mar it up.

The Eminence woofers sound better than expected and new crossover point does work better taming the midrange though the Crites CT125 sounds a bit less detailed than the K-77.

Overall very pleased with the sound.

Next step is replacing the old Pioneer and throwing some matching birch on the sub so it looks more like a set.

canon 015.JPG

canon 003.JPG

"though the Crites CT125 sounds a bit less detailed than the K-77. "

I've heard others say this, even to the point of going back to the K-77. To me, they are smoother, and with that smoothness, they can seem to have less detail.

They look great, Jason... Making me think of how I want to finish these beaters I have. I wanted to make a lot of changes, but more importantly, I want o have them done so I can listen to them.

• Like 1