$100 La Scala cabinets brought back from dead.

jason str

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

"though the Crites CT125 sounds a bit less detailed than the K-77. "

I've heard others say this, even to the point of going back to the K-77. To me, they are smoother, and with that smoothness, they can seem to have less detail.

They look great, Jason... Making me think of how I want to finish these beaters I have. I wanted to make a lot of changes, but more importantly, I want o have them done so I can listen to them.

What i hear is more detail from the bass bin, if i were not running a sub the Eminence Kappa C would be too thin down low compared to the K-33  Only 8 hours on the set and they keep getting better the more they play.

Gone from the midrange is the cheese grater effect at certain frequencies replaced with smoothness.

The tweeters sound great, i was just giving an explanation of what my ears told me.

The sound transformation compared to my old set with AL-3's is a positive one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jason str said:

What i hear is more detail from the bass bin, if i were not running a sub the Eminence Kappa C would be too thin down low compared to the K-33 

Only 8 hours on the set and they keep getting better the more they play.

My experience as well with Eminence woofers.

Not everybody believes in break-in of speakers and that's OK, but my experience with 10" Eminence woofers was that they were VERY stiff when new and the sound was very thin, just as you described. 

I don't think a specific "break in" is required, but just playing them at various SPL's will break them in naturally.  The longer I play them, the better they sound.

+++

BTW Jason, I like the brace job you did.  Very sano looking.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Unhooked the old Pioneer SX 780 and brought out a better preamp and amplifier and the difference is amazing, 1000 times better.

I knew the Pioneer was not the best tool for the job but did not realize just how poor the sound quality was until now.

Not going to bother having it recapped and serviced, its going on C-list and looking for a replacement soon.

On 11/18/2016 at 10:49 AM, wvu80 said:

My experience as well with Eminence woofers.

Not everybody believes in break-in of speakers and that's OK, but my experience with 10" Eminence woofers was that they were VERY stiff when new and the sound was very thin, just as you described. 

I don't think a specific "break in" is required, but just playing them at various SPL's will break them in naturally.  The longer I play them, the better they sound.

+++

BTW Jason, I like the brace job you did.  Very sano looking.  :emotion-21:

I find subwoofers take the longest break in time, woofers are next in line.

Mids and tweets break in rather quickly.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2016 at 2:49 PM, jason str said:

Using Eminence Kappa 15C woofers, the gasket is much thinner than the factory K-33 and the spacer is insurance.

I contacted Eminence regarding front mounting clearance to a slot. They did say even with limited cone movement they WOULD in fact slap the baffle. They sent me a second set of gaskets for free. I just added another layer to the already existing gasket.

I have made several MDF spacer rings for other projects but did not feel like cleaning up a routered MDF mess this time. Crap goes everywhere. The extra layer of gasket works great.

On 11/17/2016 at 1:43 PM, wvu80 said:

Me too.  I make my environment as dust free as possible but the bubbles are still there.  I don't find it difficult at all to remove them and leave a perfectly smooth surface.  The secret is is to let the poly dry a couple of days so it is hard and not pliable.

The warm air from a hair dryer while finish is still wet can help with bubbles. They can sometimes be temperature related. A hair dryer has worked for me over the years many times. YMMV.

• Like 1