$100 La Scala cabinets brought back from dead.

jason str

Some of you may remember my quest to replace my La Scala pair i had to sell during hard times, work is just about completed minus another coat of Polyurethane and installing horns and crossover.

Luckily i had a pair of 15" 3/4 BB blanks to use for the woofer spacers, i would have rather used thinner stock for this but i hate to waste good material.

Poly is still wet and a bit blotchy but looks great otherwise.

Will post more pictures when all work is completed..

Links to related work completed.

Type A 4500 question

$100 La Scala cabinets in Milwaukee.

May be building something different.

cannon 023.JPG

cannon 025.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jason str said:

Varathane Flat Poly, goes on White but dries clear.

My first time using Matte.

What was your thinking in choosing this particular brand, or type?  It's a little expensive, but good stuff usually is. 

I used poly to seal my CF-4's and it always produces small micro-bubbles, but they are easily removed with 600 grit light sanding or even a fingernail.  I think I used a satin finish, ie, not flat, and not gloss.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What was your thinking in choosing this particular brand, or type?  It's a little expensive, but good stuff usually is. 

I used poly to seal my CF-4's and it always produces small micro-bubbles, but they are easily removed with 600 grit light sanding or even a fingernail.  I think I used a satin finish, ie, not flat, and not gloss.

I have seen what you are talking about but never had the problem myself, as far as i can remember anyways.

Use the recommended brush, proper preparation and clean the surface well before applying is all i can recommend to you.

• Like 1

Polyurethane is completed, 3 coats did the trick.

Braces ready to install tomorrow, got the new Baltic Birch as close to the same color as the old cabinet as i could by mixing up some darker stain and numerous coats.

Horns, crossover and wiring is completed. Can't wait to get them hooked up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ricktate said:

Those look awesome......If you sand the mid horn mold seams and paint with rust-oleum black enamel makes them really pop. Or use any color they have to make them really pop..lol

The last thing i want to do right now is more sanding, for now they will stay as is.

These K-400's are really nice compared to others i have seen.

1 hour ago, oldred said:

Wow....those came out nice.....how long did it take you.

Something about that finish on La Scala's and Heresy's that I really like.

G.E.M.

Stripping and sanding on and off for a week or so, been working on the project during free time much longer.