Help with Chorus II

levrac13

So a couple of months ago I leave town for a weekend.  Return on Sunday and go to listen to a new album and no sound out of my left channel.  The amplifier is an old Threshold 400A.  I leave it on nearly all the time with the volume down.  Open the top of the amp and can see a couple of electrical components on one board burned black.  Send the amp to have it repaired and it comes back.  Hook everything up and think things are fine until I listen closer and the woofer on the left channel is not playing at all.  Tweeter and mid horn both sound the same as the right channel, which has not been affected. I had been wanting to have the crossovers rebuilt and was hoping that was the problem but sent them to Crites for his rebuild and got them back and still no sound out of the woofer.  Took the woofer out and plugged it in to the right speaker and no sound.  So it sounds like a bad woofer.  So, is there a suitable replacement for the the K48, would a recone solve my problem satisfactorily or do I hope I am able to come across a working k48.  Would i have any luck with the factory? I have had the speakers for almost a year and really enjoy them but I've been without good sound for a couple of months and I miss it. 

My preferred vendor these days is The Circuit Shop Loudspeakers, in Caledonia Michigan, just outside of Grand Rapids.  They have been in business forever, and know speaker diagnosis and repair inside and out.  Very nice people to deal with and reasonable pricing.  I take my occasional repair to them personally, so I don't know what their shipping policies are, but you can always call and find out.  Their website isn't the best, but again, call and talk to them.

https://circuitshop-com.3dcartstores.com/

• Like 1

Great resource.

Misfit Audio is in the heart of Grand Rapids, but I was told by the owner during last week's visit that he outsources their repair work.

Could they be sending it over to The Circuit Shop, or do you believe he has others doing it on the side for him?

25 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

My preferred vendor these days is The Circuit Shop Loudspeakers, in Caledonia Michigan, just outside of Grand Rapids.  They have been in business forever, and know speaker diagnosis and repair inside and out.  Very nice people to deal with and reasonable pricing.  I take my occasional repair to them personally, so I don't know what their shipping policies are, but you can always call and find out.  Their website isn't the best, but again, call and talk to them.

https://circuitshop-com.3dcartstores.com/

This is very good to know......although I got enough speakers for a while.....but tomorrow is a different day

Sorry I have not responded to the quick replies here, work got busy and no time.  So from what it sounds like a reconing is in order.  I tried to push the cone in and it is stuck.  After some consideration I sprung for the epay speaker this morning.  I know it was a premium price but to have an exact replacement is worth it to me.  Maybe I can recoup some of the money by selling a woofer for rebuild.  Thanks for the advice.

Good to hear you'll be up and running again soon! That price seems like what Klipsch was selling them for a few years ago when I called to check prices so I don't think the seller is making anything on the deal, probably just breaking even for what that's worth.

Dave Miller at Speakerworks in Tulsa, OK had been doing recones ,  etc., for over 30 years for Klipsch, EV, Celestion  Cerwin Vega, and tons others. I've personally known him for 30 years and you won't find many as knowledgeable ad he is. But, if you have a new woofer...

If I decide to have the woofer reconed (thanks for the info for the guy in Tulsa) could it be used for a home built subwoofer?  I should probably post in the subwoofer section, but is it at all suited for this use?  I'm not much of a woodworker but my brother is and I thunk it would be neat to have a sub built by him.

Klipsch uses a version of that woofer (k-48-kp 8 ohm) in pro subwoofer cabinets but they are mainly intended for stage gear and don't play any lower than the Chorus II's. I certainly would not re-cone the woofer for that application alone. Honestly, unless you have another catastrophic amplifier failure I highly doubt you'd ever damage another woofer.