What do you use for switching amps/speakers?

jimjimbo

Say you have a couple of different amps, and a couple or three pairs of speakers that you'd like to be able to switch in and out, for comparison, and different music types, etc,   What kind of switch are you using to accomplish this?  Not looking for anything overly complex, but good quality, no introduction of noise/distortion.....

Jim....you are asking for a lot

I run 2 different amps to a single set of speakers. I use something called TC-7220. It will run 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers. The reason I went for this is the speaker binding posts were very convenient. All it is is a mechanical switch.

Here is the Ebay (no affiliation) link of the place I found it....they have many others.   ....Two amps and 3 sets of speakers I think they will have it....but 3 amps ....I am not sure.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_id=391073502625&_nkw=TC-7220+2-Way+Amp+Amplifier+Speaker+Selector+Switch+Switcher+Comparator+Router&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

I hope this helps

G.E.M.

35 minutes ago, oldred said:

Jim....you are asking for a lot

I run 2 different amps to a single set of speakers. I use something called TC-7220. It will run 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers. The reason I went for this is the speaker binding posts were very convenient. All it is is a mechanical switch.

Here is the Ebay (no affiliation) link of the place I found it....they have many others.   ....Two amps and 3 sets of speakers I think they will have it....but 3 amps ....I am not sure.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_id=391073502625&_nkw=TC-7220+2-Way+Amp+Amplifier+Speaker+Selector+Switch+Switcher+Comparator+Router&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

I hope this helps

G.E.M.

George, Me?  Asking for a lot?  Oh come now.....LOL.....I know they are out there, just depends on how much you want to spend, and the complexity involved....Many that I've seen will only accept up to 14 ga cable  (I mean, who uses 14 ga cable...kidding, kidding...)  I was just throwing it out there to get some ideas, sources, etc.  Thanks for your info, I will look into those.  You guys need to come over to see my out of control setup to understand why I'm asking....

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

George, Me?  Asking for a lot?  Oh come now.....LOL.....I know they are out there, just depends on how much you want to spend, and the complexity involved....Many that I've seen will only accept up to 14 ga cable  (I mean, who uses 14 ga cable...kidding, kidding...)  I was just throwing it out there to get some ideas, sources, etc.  Thanks for your info, I will look into those.  You guys need to come over to see my out of control setup to understand why I'm asking....

You are going to have to AB the switch box you end up getting through your reference AB switch you use to compare speakers because even though it doesn't have measurable distortion or noise, it will sound different depending on the brand and type of resistors, connectors, and whether the internal wiring is silver or oxygen free copper.  It also helps if the entire switch box has been dunked into liquid nitrigon.  It certainly helps if you buy the most expensive model on the market.

Oh wait, that's for crossovers.  Never mind.

(Just pulling your chain Jim because I know you, and thought you might get a laugh)

I had a radio shack one for an outdoor setup, and there are a bunch of rack mount pro switches from places like Markertek .  Get their catalog, you can go hog wild.

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

You are going to have to AB the switch box you end up getting through your reference AB switch you use to compare speakers because even though it doesn't have measurable distortion or noise, it will sound different depending on the brand and type of resistors, connectors, and whether the internal wiring is silver or oxygen free copper.  It also helps if the entire switch box has been dunked into liquid nitrigon.  It certainly helps if you buy the most expensive model on the market.

Oh wait, that's for crossovers.  Never mind.

(Just pulling your chain Jim because I know you, and thought you might get a laugh)

I had a radio shack one for an outdoor setup, and there are a bunch of rack mount pro switches from places like Markertek .  Get their catalog, you can go hog wild.

Oh thank goodness....finally, a voice of reason....I hadn't thought of the liquid nitrogen part of it..I'm sure that will help to secure the connectors and channel the audio within a more limited bandwidth....I feel better now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

I personally have not used them but do recall a few members here using Niles offerings.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_selection.php?catcdID=7

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_selection.php?catcdID=10

The Niles units unfortunately only accommodate up to 14ga wire.  They look to be OK, but I'm looking at other more versatile solutions.

Travis....the Markertek site is awesome!  Thank you.  Prices look great as well.

• Like 1

I am looking at something similar.  Trying to run a tube amp for stereo and a HT receiver for multi-channel.  I found this on Amazon.  It was the simplest such device I could find.  I was thinking I might actually open up the device and remove the wiring for the A+B setting to reduce the likelihood of accidental amplifier damage.

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Speaker-Selector-Switcher-Combiner/dp/B00CZNXKRA

Thoughts?

Years ago when I was a manufacturers rep for multiple lines, we sold these Mitek Musica SS6 switchers.  I still have a couple of them but you see them on eBay once in awhile.  They have 2 source input and 6 speaker output with selectable impedance and come with rack mount "ears", if you are so inclined.  We also worked with Niles, Elan, and Crestron, but, the SS6's flew out the door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musica-SS6-6-Zone-Speaker-Selector-Easy-Music-Distribution-for-Your-Home-NEW-/112191741606?hash=item1a1f261ea6:g:fhUAAOSwEjFXe~w3

More info.

https://www.mtx.com/musicass6-6-position-speaker-selector

I'm not sure how well a tube amplifier will work with a switcher like these but I guess it's worth a try.  (not at fault if the magic Genie smoke comes out!  haha)

• 2 weeks later...

I built a switch box that allows (1) pair RCA In and (4) pairs RCA out... I keep (3) amps connected, a pair a various set, Mac 2105 and an Art Audio PX25 stereo tube amp...

I do have to change speaker wire at the XO and I use Goertz MI 3 for the 2105, Kimber 8TC for the PX25 and Goertz AG 2 for set amps... flip a toggle to change the output...

LED indicator for the switch powered by a 9v battery mounted inside.. cardas RCA's and solid silver wire.. bubinga box..

switch box 3.JPG

switch box 2.JPG

switch box 4.JPG

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

@jimjimbo what did you get? 

This: (although a different color)

SP 1 Amplifier/Speaker Selector - The simplest (standard) version switches the stereo output of a power amplifier to one of two (or both) speaker systems. A typical modification is the addition of a switch for one or more amplifier outputs. All switches handling amplifier output or speaker connections are high-current rated versions of those employed in the LR 1 line router  All amplifier inputs are terminated with 500 Ohm resistors and binding posts are heavy-duty 5-way dual units. A simplified schematic representation of the I/O and switching functions as printed on the top of the chassis. 

SP 1 Amplifier/Speaker Selector - The simplest (standard) version switches the stereo output of a power amplifier to one of two (or both) speaker systems. A typical modification is the addition of a switch for one or more amplifier outputs. All switches handling amplifier output or speaker connections are high-current rated versions of those employed in the LR 1 line router  All amplifier inputs are terminated with 500 Ohm resistors and binding posts are heavy-duty 5-way dual units. A simplified schematic representation of the I/O and switching functions as printed on the top of the chassis. 

3 to 3 SP1 rear.jpg

3 to 3 SP1.jpg

On 5/31/2017 at 9:37 AM, jimjimbo said:

This: (although a different color)

3 to 3 SP1 rear.jpg

3 to 3 SP1.jpg

Thanks.

Did you use it much, did it do the job you wanted, do you still use it?