Yield: About 2 cups 
Biscuits-6.jpg
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla 

In a medium sauce pan whisk together the dry ingredients.  Pour in the milk and whisk vigorously to combine.  Heat over medium-high until the mixture bubbles.  Turn heat down to medium and stir until mixture has thickened to a gravy consistency.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.

Let cool slightly then transfer to a gravy boat. Serve warm over buttermilk biscuits.

• Like 2

Azeka (old General Store) Maui Ribs Recipe:

I usually use 50% Aloha and 50% Kikkoman soy sauce in my marinade.

Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus marinating time. Cooking time: 10-12 minutes.

Makes: 4 servings

8 thinly cut strips of beef short ribs (i.e. Korean Style) about 3 to 4 lbs

1 1/2 cups soy sauce

½ to 3/4 cup cane sugar

3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger sliced thinly

3 garlic cloves, sliced

¼  maui sweet onion or you can use green onion cut into 2” slices

2 tsp sesame oil

Place the ribs in a non-metallic sided dish just large enough for a single, slightly overlapping layer (or a plastic sealer bag). Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar into the soy sauce. Pour over the ribs. Cover and marinate the ribs in the fridge at least 8 hours, overnight or even up to 5 full days, turning them twice. Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium heat.

29107078ebf6cd8fc9a42e040d1e48d4.jpg

aloha-shoyu-soy-sauce.jpg

• Like 2

134656_491652753035_3184897_o.jpg

My wife's Famous Seafood Gumbo

for a big group

Roux

2 cups Crisco

2 ½ cups flour

Hint:  Cook Roux slowly till it is the color of a Hershey’s chocolate bar.

Vegetables

2 yellow onion

1 bunch green onions

fresh parsley (a big handful)

celery

fresh mushrooms

Hint:    Chop all coarsely.  Fluffy adds jalapeno pepper rings to hers.  Alabama people generally aren’t that tough.

Seafood

4 pounds pealed shrimp

1 pound crab meat

1 pint oysters

3 cans minced clams

2 pounds good smoked sausage

Hint:    Make sure you marinade the shrimp in a little Cajun seasoning (like Tony’s) for an hour or so before adding it to the Gumbo.

Hint 2: If the oysters smell “fishy” don’t put the juice in the gumbo

While you are making your roux, start cooking your veggies in a big pot about 1/4 full of water.  Add roux very carefully when it’s finished.  Add all your seafood and sausage.  Season with Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and garlic, if you like.  (I don’t like garlic in gumbo).  A good Cajun cook tastes often to make seasoning adjustments.  (None of these calories count.) Once the gumbo comes to a boil, it is ready to eat.  Serve over hot rice.

If you think it’s good today, wait till tomorrow!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Weber said:

Thanks for this thread Jeff, I was wanting to start this the other day. I was cooking ribs and figured that there were several people who would have the right rub, sauce, cook time, grill time, family secret that could be shared. 

As far as rubs go, here is a very good one:  one part Lowry's Seasoned Salt; one part Fiesta brand Fajita Seasoning; two parts brown sugar.  Mix all powders well.  Then, rub generously (as much as will stick).  Cook low and slow...

22 minutes ago, Weber said:

Grill, smoker, microwave? 

Sounds good. Carl had a picture of some chicken legs that he cooked the other day that looked like there would be no leftovers. 

This is a good rub for pork baby back ribs (not St. Louis ribs, unless you know about St. Louis and prefer them).  The only way I've had them is from a smoker and from the oven.  They are good both ways.  As far as how you like your rib texture, I'm no expert in matching the texture you get in the BBQ smoke house restaurants.   Theirs are tender, but firm.  I'd like to be able to do that, but I haven't found the knack, yet.  

I wrap the ribs in foil with the bone side down and cook a rack for about 4 hours at 250 f.  Then, I remove, drain fat, brush on BBQ sauce, and put back in the oven for another 45 minutes with the foil open.  They are fall-off-the-bone tender.  Day-after leftovers, when reheated, are ooooh so good!  Potato salad is a must-have with these.

These are not mine, but this is how foil-baked ribs look:

korean-kalbi-baby-back-ribs-recipe-9323.

• Like 1

I have also used that same rub on a Boston butt cut pork roast to make pulled pork sandwiches.  Super easy.  Coat roast in mustard.  It helps the rub to stick and does not affect flavor.  Add all the rub that will stick.  Put in crock pot on low for 8 hours.  When finished, you can pull it out (often in a few large chunks).  Put the roast on a baking pan and start pulling it apart with 2 forks.  It is so tender, it will shred.  Drain fat from crock pot.  Put shredded meat back into crock pot.  Stir-in BBQ sauce in whatever quantity you like for some really great pulled pork sandwiches.

They are like this:

980484.jpg

• Like 2

I'll try that.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I'd like to be able to do that, but I haven't found the knack, yet.

Which remind me of what / how to coat banana peppers, mushroom, onion ring and such. I put out a small banana pepper and tomato garden. I have never been able to make the perfect coating that will come out of the fryer with the perfect consistency. I can get the flavor, but they come out wilted, too thick, falling off, never just right. The onions and shrooms do fine, I fail at the peppers. :angry:

8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Put shredded meat back into crock pot.  Stir-in BBQ sauce in whatever quantity you like for some really great pulled pork sandwiches.

Do you get a lot of water from yours. Every time I cook in the crockpot, i get 10 gallons of water that's been injected to add weight. 

Just now, Weber said:

Do you get a lot of water from yours. Every time I cook in the crockpot, i get 10 gallons of water that's been injected to add weight. 

Yeah, I fixed the instructions above to include the fact that you need to drain the juices out of the crock pot before putting the shredded pork back in it.

Brisket. Recipe is a salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, chili powder, and Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust rub. Cheap me purrs in in a leftover Bovine Bold rub shaker for dispersal. Gotta buy a regular one. Smoked for eight hours with Hickory splits in my offset smoker.
Wrapped at 165 degrees and cooked until probe tender.

Rubbed:

e6ea236758a93e67afcd69484944bb86.jpg

On the pit:

9a5b72226ad871d676de7d594c1cd52a.jpg

Sliced after it probed tender and a one hour rest:

10b0e0fdd5e07b6c21d80fd20095ecd4.jpg

c501fc9348ed9898d10f7c5bf0a6b2e7.jpg

Passing the bend test:

cd0b2d4e37e95d798de5b1ae067a1c89.jpg

Is this what you are looking for? [emoji12][emoji74]

• Like 5