RF-82 II vs R-28F

Futurist

Its looks like they stopped making the RF 82's does anyone know how the R 28's compare?... I have seen some people say these aren't 

good for music.. I think the 82's sound great with anything that has a good production.. Anyone know why people are saying this?.. Matter of taste?

13 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

They added a limited run here

Speakers>specials>holiday sales

I did see that and thought it was weird it's not even on their front page. You have to hunt for it.. I have a friend who wants the 82's.. but has to save $ first.. I didn't know if the R 28's are the same thing.. I may want another pair if the R 28's aren't the same.

The r-28th is a model available at best buy. Best buy only carried the synergy line and icon lines (both extremely low end compared to other lines from klipsch). About a year out so ago, klipsch rebranded these lines to the reference line.  The high end reference line got rebranded to the reference premier line. So the newest comparable model to the rf-82 would be the rp-280f.

Thanks for the info!... I thought that one was more for theater for some reason.. Whenever I find something I really like they stop making it.. It cost over $500 more than the 82's but if it's the same or better than it's worth it... The 82's got me very excited I got a great deal and they weren't even used or played more than 2 months.. So at some point I would like to try the rp 280f... I see you have the KG 1.5's I just heard those tiny little speakers and thats what made me get the Klipsch... Those are amazing little speakers!.. great bass... Also I heard Forte over 25 yrs ago and I want those too!... Thanks again!

The R28f are on the same level as the old KF28 and F-30 Synergy/Icon models. Lower quality materials, aluminum tweeters (vs titanium in RF82), poly woofers(vs aluminum in RF82).

They lack midrange, boost treble and bass, and bass sounds a bit flabby compared to RF82.

The RP280f is not a huge upgrade over RF82, simply a newer version with some refinements. Even the two older models before the RF82(the RF35 and RF3) still hold up spectacularly against the newer models.

I actually prefer the RF35 over the RF82..  :-)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mattSER said:

The R28f are on the same level as the old KF28 and F-30 Synergy/Icon models. Lower quality materials, aluminum tweeters (vs titanium in RF82), poly woofers(vs aluminum in RF82).

They lack midrange, boost treble and bass, and bass sounds a bit flabby compared to RF82.

The RP280f is not a huge upgrade over RF82, simply a newer version with some refinements. Even the two older models before the RF82(the RF35 and RF3) still hold up spectacularly against the newer models.

I actually prefer the RF35 over the RF82..  :-)

Cool thanks for the info!.. Because the 82's are $750 vs 280f's are $1,200.. I will keep a eye out for used RF 35 & RF 3's.. I rather get a used than spending $1,200 for the 280's.. Thanks for your input.. 

Yes, RF-3s can be found for $200-350 and are an absolute steal. They have a lean balance with less bass than newer models but very clean, dynamic, and powerful. 

RF-35s can be found for $250-400 and are one of my all time favorite models. Beefier balance than RF-3, clean, dynamic, supremely powerful, and sharper/brighter than the more relaxed/refined RF-82.

I'm sure the majority would prefer the 82, so don't take my opinion as fact, but in general, all these models are roughly on par with each other. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

The RF-3's can put out some really tight bass if you place them right.  There's a reason I own two pair of them instead of the RF-25's I used to have. :)

Cool good to know!.. Are those 100 watts.. I looked on the site but they didn't say..

14 minutes ago, mattSER said:

Yes, RF-3s can be found for $200-350 and are an absolute steal. They have a lean balance with less bass than newer models but very clean, dynamic, and powerful. 

RF-35s can be found for $250-400 and are one of my all time favorite models. Beefier balance than RF-3, clean, dynamic, supremely powerful, and sharper/brighter than the more relaxed/refined RF-82.

I'm sure the majority would prefer the 82, so don't take my opinion as fact, but in general, all these models are roughly on par with each other. 

Awesome I didn't want to get the new models!... I saw some RF 35's on CL for around $300.. I will look out for them too!.. Thanks.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, MIKEPP said:

That’s such a crock of crap 

the r-28 were sold at Best Buy 

in magnolia 

and they are amazing sounding speakers unreal it’s just a newer model than the Ed-82 

Don't git yur panties in a wad.

It's a 4 Year Old Post.

18 hours ago, MIKEPP said:

That’s such a crock of crap 

the r-28 were sold at Best Buy 

in magnolia 

and they are amazing sounding speakers unreal it’s just a newer model than the Ed-82 

According to the specs the r-28 uses an aluminum tweeter diaphragm and is a front ported design, don't think they are considered "replacements" for the RF-82 but I could be wrong.