Heresy lll's and Onkyo TX-8160

csfuchs

After 30 years I finally bought myself Heresy lll's (when I first heard Heresy's only the l's were around but wow!) fulfilling an old fantasy. Now I have to choose something to drive them. The Onkyo TX-8160 seems to fit the bill and fit with my needs.

I would love to hear people's opinion of this choice. I haven't purchased the receiver yet because being so close to Black Friday I may as well wait to see what's on sale so if you all have something else in mind that is a good match at that price point ($630 Canadian) and feature set (2-Channel, Phono input, FM, Airplay, Network, Optical Input) I would love to hear your (collective) thoughts.

Csfuchs,

Welcome to the forum.

10 hours ago, csfuchs said:

After 30 years I finally bought myself Heresy lll's (when I first heard Heresy's only the l's were around but wow!) fulfilling an old fantasy.

Congrats on the HIII's.

Now I have to choose something to drive them. The Onkyo TX-8160 seems to fit the bill and fit with my needs.

I would love to hear people's opinion of this choice.

First, if the Onkyo TX-8160 is the replacement model for the TX-8050, which I think it is, then it is a wonderful sounding piece for the little $$$ spent.  I have the Integra DTM-40.4, which is the fraternal brother of the Onkyo TX-8050, driving my HII's in my master bedroom, and I could not be happier.  Great features, plenty of grunt to drive the HII's, punchy, neutral, and detailed.

I haven't purchased the receiver yet because being so close to Black Friday I may as well wait to see what's on sale so if you all have something else in mind that is a good match at that price point ($630 Canadian) and feature set (2-Channel, Phono input, FM, Airplay, Network, Optical Input) I would love to hear your (collective) thoughts.

Now for another suggestion near that price point.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Yamaha_R_N602_Network_stereo_receiver_p/022rn602.htm

Bill

To DTR20, thank you so much for the welcome, it is appreciated. I look forward to frequenting this forum often to learn and to share.

To Bill,

Thank you very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated. The Onkyo has great reviews and specs, nothing wrong with the Yamaha either, very similar. From what I can see around here in the Toronto area the Yamaha is about $120 more than the Onkyo so all things being equal the Onkyo seems the better value, I don't see $120 more features in the Yamaha.

Wish me luck on Black Friday.

Christian

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Welcome. I have found my taste (everyone has their own) is towards the Marantz or Yamaha with heritage Klipsch. Are you opposed to refurbs? If not, have a peek here

I think he has the Canada exchange/tariff/fee thing to worry about.  Otherwise you read my mind with A4Less.

Bill

10 minutes ago, willland said:

I think he has the Canada exchange/tariff/fee thing to worry about.  Otherwise you read my mind with A4Less.

Bill

Hey Bill, I took a quick look at A4L before posting and didn't see right off if that was a viable option or not.

Mike

Funny you should mention the refurb thing. There is a place here that is selling a refurb TX-8160 for $396 vs $630 new, although there is a retailer selling it at $580 this week.

I admit I am a little shy with refurbished audio equipment, what can you tell me to enlighten me on the subject?

Purchasing cross-border can have it's complications. Add almost 40 % for the exchange to start, so $270US turns into $365CDN  Then shipping, another $95CDN (with the exchange). Plus duties and taxes. No clue on duties but taxes will add another 13%. It starts to add up. Plus if there are any issues with the unit returning it for warranty can potentially be a nightmare. Really it depends on the retailer. There are some us retailers that seem to have special arrangements.

A4L does ship to Canada.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csfuchs said:

I admit I am a little shy with refurbished audio equipment, what can you tell me to enlighten me on the subject?

I must admit that I feel the same regarding refurbs (anything) however comma if the vendor has a really good reputation, decent warranty and the price is right I am tempted. If my math is correct the TX-8160 delta is $184 new vs refurb. That would be a reputation vs warranty vs customer service question for me.

My view on refurbished is that I have had nothing but good luck with the items I have bought.  In some cases, buying something refurbished "can" be a better deal than on the used market and you usually get at least a 1 year warranty.  

The term factory refurbished can have multiple meanings.

1) Returned item no issues, checked out, stamped for resale

2) Returned item with defect, repaired, stamped for resale

3) Returned item with cosmetic issue, stamped for resale

4) Returned item with shipping damage, factory repaired, stamped for resale

5) etc. etc. etc.

I bought my "refurbished" Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp from A4Less and it is in mint condition and has never failed to perform less than flawlessly in the last 2 years.

Bill

• Like 1

The refurb seller, a company locally called Skadi only sells online and my tough luck, I missed the boat and they no longer have the refurb Tx-8160 in stock.

Another question that has me running the risk of sounding like a complete idiot. My old "system" is Panasonic SD PM91D. It happens to feature true bi-amping.

So while I wait for Black Friday and the Onkyo TX-8160 can I hook up the Panasonic in a bi-amp mode? The reason I am asking is because stamped on the back of the Panasonic by the speaker connections is marked 6 ohm, is it ok to hook it up to the Heresy lll's (once I remove the jumper)? Or should I just leave the jumper in and wait until I get the Onkyo?

Newbie question or what, eh?

I have an Onkyo 717 AVR, from 2014.  I run it with my Khorns and the sound is great, no complaints here.

I'm glad you found something local to you.  Your description of all those fees, taxes, etc had me in cringe mode.

+++

Welcome to the Klipsch forum.  :emotion-21::emotion-22::)