Suggestions for Outdoor Speakers for Lanai and Outdoor Living Area

Youthman

23 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I don't see the need for permanently mounted outdoor speakers

If conversation and background music are paramount use the little guys.  If music is the focus when you're outside, there's no replacement for displacement.  It's nice to have something decent sized mounted to where all you have to do is flip a switch or push a button and you're good to go.

I have a pair of MWM double bass bins (no drivers installed) you could have for free as a starting point.  Slap a K402 on top and you are golden for just about anything you'd want to do outdoors.  Makes for a killer outdoor movie setup.

I guess I agree with Carl's displacement comment. :)

• Moderators

I certainly appreciate the ofer Coytee but I really don't need it loud outside.  Tonight we had our youth Christmas party with around 40 youth and 10 adults.  At first I turned on the RF-7ii's in the living room and opened the sliding glass door so sound could be easily be heard outside.  I found myself turning down the RF-7ii (even though they weren't that loud) to make it easier for people inside to have conversation.   I later turned off the RF-7ii and turned on some music in the HT and opened the sliding glass door in that room.  That was plenty of sound for the outside living area.  I really wouldn't be able to crank music outside due to living in a subdivision. 

On 12/2/2016 at 4:14 PM, CECAA850 said:

If conversation and background music are paramount use the little guys.

Yes, that's what I would like to accomplish.  If I want to rock out, we will come inside for that as to not disturb the neighbors.

• Moderators

Anyone familiar with the CA-800T Pro speakers?  They have an 8" woofer as opposed to a 6.5" woofer in the AW-650. 

Looking at the specs, they seem like they would be an upgrade to the AW-650. 

They dig a little deeper (64Hz vs 74Hz). 

They have a 1" Titanium diaphram compression tweeter vs a 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter in the AW-650.  Not familar with how those two differ but I'm guessing the compression tweeter is better?

I wouldn't need the "Transformer Taps" (similar to an amp???).  I would use the "Passthrough" selector on the rear of the speaker since I would be connecting it directly to my receiver's Zone 2 Outputs.

CA-800T Specs

AW-650 Specs

Any thoughts on the CA-800T?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

14 is what I had ordered.  Now I just need to find time to get in the attic to run the speaker wire.  This evening, I want to connect them to my Onkyo receiver in the theater room.  The first time I did it, I had my volume on my phone turned down to 1/3 volume so I had to crank up the volume on the Onkyo and it wasn't impressive at all and never got very loud.  Then I moved them into the living room and got the same results only to discover the volume on my phone.  Once I turned up the volume on my phone, they sounded great but I haven't since tested them in the theater room. 

If it sounds as good in the theater room (Onkyo TX-NR5008) vs Living Room (Harman Kardon Receiver with Acurus 200x2 powered amp), it would really simplify the installation.  The living room would be difficult to fish the wire through the wall.  In the theater room, I already have a hole in the ceiling that is behind the front cabinet.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
On January 4, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Youthman said:

I think I'm going to purchase a 100' spool of 14 gauge speaker wire from Monoprice.  Looking at the charts online, 14 is plenty for a 50' run.  Am I correct?

I used the same wire in a few different places around here, it's fine no problems, and cheaper than I could find locally.

One idea, when you get the wire pick a rainy day and get it over, you don't want to wait until summer, you know how bad that would be. :wacko:

I Love the new area and I know it will get used alot, plus add value to the house. :emotion-21:

• Moderators

Sadly, I've still not made the time to climb in the attic to run the cables and install the speakers.  It's a pain to get to because I cannot get to that side of the house from the attic opening in the garage.  I have to remove all of my daughter's clothes from her closet and climb up that way.

4 hours ago, dtel said:

One idea, when you get the wire pick a rainy day and get it over, you don't want to wait until summer, you know how bad that would be. :wacko:

True or I can just get up at 6am and run it then.  Won't be too bad at all.

4 hours ago, dtel said:

I Love the new area and I know it will get used alot, plus add value to the house. :emotion-21:

Thanks we love it too.  Last week, my son invited 4 of his friends over.  It was a cool evening so they stayed outside, built a fire in the fire pit and hung out in the hot tub until 4am. 

My wife and I use the hot tub at least 3-4 times per week.  Used it again tonight.