RF3 vs RF82

i96rcr

In general, yes. Rf-3s and RF-82s are both rated at 8 ohms, so when you hook them up at the same time, the nominal impedance drops to 4 ohms.

However, this doesn't account for impedance dips. Each speaker probably dips below 4 ohms, so connected together they drop to below 2 ohms.

That's a tough load for any amp, but at least we know your amp is rated for 4 ohms, so it's not that bad. If it was an 8 ohm amp, it probably would've been toast already. 

I would think the worst case scenario would be the amp going into self protect and shutting off. I've done this several times back in the day with older Receivers and never had one fail because of it. I know with aging equipment things don't always work the way they should though.

Specifications:

The Alpha 220 features DC servo high-speed switching circuitry.

Power output is 120 watts per channel RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms, with no more than 0.008% total harmonic distortion.

Advanced circuit technology includes parallel push-pull output, dual vertical peak power display, quick responding protection circuit and a rack mountable design.

* Power output: 120 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
* Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz
* Total harmonic distortion: 0.008%
* Damping factor: 60
* Input sensitivity: 1V
* Signal to noise ratio: 105dB
* Dimensions: 482 x 138 x 344mm
* Weight: 13.5kg

• 4 years later...