old Lascala

Sjuris

Rewire the thing to stock like schematic above....take that bi-wire mess out. If your willing to spend all that money on horns and drivers why not get these working right to begin with ? Put a terminal block with seals back on the woofer chamber. Those should sound awesome if all drivers are working. I bet the previous guy changed the woofers and are the wrong ones or they are out of phase considering the botched up job he did on the crossover.

Take it all apart and start over.....confirm right woofer is in there K-33......Get 2 terminal blocks put those back in however you can modify that with banana terminals like I did. You will need to do some drilling and work but possible. I do not like idea of just sealing up the hole.

That's probably why he sold them they were messed with and not right.

I also think that diode protection circuit can only cause problems. There is a schematic on here with out that protection circuit.

Since it has Crites tweets the crossover can be modified to 4500 hz crossover schematic from BOB. Which will take the load off the midrange driver.

Did you check to make sure the mid driver is screwed snug on the horn??????

There is no clear way I see the main power from amp is getting into the crossover. I still vote to take it all apart and start over not that hard to do. Maybe someone can post the schematic of crossover with out that protection circuit in it .

To do Bobs 4500 hz mod you will need some parts but I think its worth doing after you get this rewired correctly.

TypeA.jpg

This it type A which is what it was before Klipsch put the protection circuit in to protect the tweeter. You do not need it cause you have new Crites tweets.

Plus this is easy to rewire yours like this to eliminate all problems. You already have new capacitors .

4 hours ago, ricktate said:

There is no clear way I see the main power from amp is getting into the crossover.

As much as I can see in the pics, it looks like the red wires are going straight from the added input jacks straight to the components and bypassing the terminal strip.

Still, I would agree that it would be best to undo the bi-wire setup and simply remove the diodes (or remove the connection to one of the diodes... that would be the easiest and leave them there in case you want to add them back into the circuit). Using a 300B amp he won't be driving the system very hard.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Sjuris said:

Its been a busy day and I am really tired, so no LaScala work today..

That's what you get for spending time with your girlfriend instead of us, so no sympathy for you.  :P

1 hour ago, Sjuris said:

I feel that perhaps its easyer to buy a brand new crossover from Crites or someone else...? Any suggestions? 

All the components I see in your La Scala are high quality and they look like they are fairly new.  I suggest you keep them.

What you really need to do is confirm the wires are all connected correctly.  I don't see where there is any soldering to be done. 

Let's map out a plan where we can work together.  Then we will go step-by-step, no hurry.  When you are done the speakers should sound great.

33 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's what you get for spending time with your girlfriend instead of us, so no sympathy for you.  :P

All the components I see in your La Scala are high quality and they look like they are fairly new.  I suggest you keep them.

What you really need to do is confirm the wires are all connected correctly.  I don't see where there is any soldering to be done. 

Let's map out a plan where we can work together.  Then we will go step-by-step, no hurry.  When you are done the speakers should sound great.

Hmmm, thats is probably a good plan. :-) Its bedtime for me now, but I will start the rewire-job tomorrow. 

Thanks again for the help! I am very glad for this!

• Like 1

I know you probably don't need the diodes but I've never heard of them "causing trouble."    I don't think I'd go to the trouble to remove them at this point... less work just to leave them for now.  These are going to sound pretty good when you are done!

edit: Marvel's suggestion is a good one... you could just disconnect the diodes at the terminal block.

Good luck!

Looks like the woofer chamber is sealed.....not the way I would have done it but looks like it will work. Looks like you also have brand new Crites woofer in there also that's great. so far so good.

I'm sure you could find someone around your area that can fix those crossovers its not that hard. A little study and a soldering iron you can fix these back to the way they should be. Not sure why you would buy new ones the ones you got are already upgraded.

Did you confirm woofer polarity while you were in that one speaker? Was there some type of seal on the bottom access door? Need to check other one just to be sure.

We can not really help fix the sound without confirming the wiring is correct... which is hard to do with out better pics of the wiring.

After you got the wiring back to where it should be and the speakers sounding right....you could run the input terminal wires over to those banana plugs so you can use them still.

Do you have a OHM meter to check the mid driver with ? They are fairly cheap to get and you will use it for other stuff they come in handy.

Not sure what you mean by bad sound, serval things could cause sound problems just need to eliminate them one at a time. Make a list on here of what you have checked...polarity of all drivers  ? Mid driver tight on horn ?  See if you can get better pics of that wiring.

13 hours ago, ricktate said:

Looks like the woofer chamber is sealed.....not the way I would have done it but looks like it will work. Looks like you also have brand new Crites woofer in there also that's great. so far so good.

I'm sure you could find someone around your area that can fix those crossovers its not that hard. A little study and a soldering iron you can fix these back to the way they should be. Not sure why you would buy new ones the ones you got are already upgraded.

Did you confirm woofer polarity while you were in that one speaker? Was there some type of seal on the bottom access door? Need to check other one just to be sure.

We can not really help fix the sound without confirming the wiring is correct... which is hard to do with out better pics of the wiring.

After you got the wiring back to where it should be and the speakers sounding right....you could run the input terminal wires over to those banana plugs so you can use them still.

Do you have a OHM meter to check the mid driver with ? They are fairly cheap to get and you will use it for other stuff they come in handy.

Not sure what you mean by bad sound, serval things could cause sound problems just need to eliminate them one at a time. Make a list on here of what you have checked...polarity of all drivers  ? Mid driver tight on horn ?  See if you can get better pics of that wiring.

Thank you for a good answer. 

I think I am going to strip down the crossovers completely and like you suggest, have someone to help me look at them.  But I dont think that the price for Crites-crossovers where that bad... and pehaps it will make me a little less paranoid to change them with new ones:-) 

I think the bsst way to decribe the sound is like when I turn up the volume they sound like they are standing inside a huge cardbox... on low volume its quite okey, but I can not turn opp the volume and its not really loud until they sound bad... but I dont really know what the reason is. 

During next week I will try to remake the crossovers one last time before I decide to buy new ones.  I think I will losen all the wires and start from scratch maybe with a little help from you guys...? 

I read in a post that you are talking about diodes... can you explain what they are...? 

Best regards

Sjur

The diodes are the 1N3996 parts on the schematic, and are mounted on the piece of aluminum angle on the board. the case of each diode forms the connection path, so only two wires connect (between the  + and - of the tweeter). THe zener diodes have a breakover voltage, that when exceeded, shunts the signal, preventing tweeter damage at high volumes.

Bruce

Well if you think price of new ones is ok for you to do then just order new ones . I would still order the 4500hz mod. ones from Bob. Or call him and discuss it with him for sure. Maybe he can diagnose what your problem is over the phone. Since 2/3 of the speaker is his parts and maybe even the diaphragm in the mid-range could be also. The previous owner may have put new ones of those in also.

My guess is its the wiring , the seal on the woofer chamber , your tone settings on your system , or maybe placement of the speakers.

Is that pic of the white ones yours? With the horn loaded bass bin you don't need extra bass boost and to much boost will sound bad.

With the Crites tweeters you do not need that protection circuit.

On the bi-amp connections how are you hooking your amp to them ???