Klipsch stains/oils finishes

dtr20

What kind of stains/oils did klipsch use for the finished on the speakers. I wanted to build some furniture and be able to match the klipsch walnut oil finish. I found an golden oak finish that matches well with the oak oil speakers. Thanks

• Moderators
On 11/22/2016 at 9:15 PM, dtr20 said:

What kind of stains/oils did klipsch use for the finished on the speakers. I wanted to build some furniture and be able to match the klipsch walnut oil finish. I found an golden oak finish that matches well with the oak oil speakers. Thanks

I think @HDBRbuilder has posted about this in many different threads, hopefully he will chime in here at some point and point you in the right direction, you may also to be able to find some of his posts about it with the search function.

On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 2:53 PM, dwilawyer said:

I think @HDBRbuilder has posted about this in many different threads, hopefully he will chime in here at some point and point you in the right direction, you may also to be able to find some of his posts about it with the search function.

From 1976-1983, they used BLO mixed with black walnut stain...for oiled walnut finishes.  It was hand-rubbed into the cabinets. I'm not sure what they used after that.

You can also use black walnut superfine sawdust with BLO for the initial coat (rub into the grain WITH THE GRAIN, which will help to seal the pores of the wood veneer, then use BLO without it for the next coats.  CAVEAT:  Be sure to read the labels for flammability, spontaneous combustion, etc...and be sure to do this in a well-ventilated area!

You can get the same effect by hand-brushing a semi-gloss urethane onto the furniture...but be sure to constantly stir the urethane to keep the silica in it completely into solution as you do this...the silica is what turns glo0ss urethane into semi-gloss urethane and it NEEDS to be stirred OFTEN when using it....OTHERWISE the finish will appear more glossy in some areas than in others when it dries...and you are trying to have a consistency to the semi-gloss appearance.  Let each THIN coat set up COMPLETELY, then LIGHTLY sand between coats, take soft brush and remove sanding residue,  apply next coat...usually about three coats seals the wood quite well with the grain still being seen AND felt, but not having the appearance of a completely smooth surface, but the surface should FEEL smooth.  On furniture, I always apply the urethane finish prior to assembly, ensuring any glue surfaces remain finish-free.  Then upon completion of assembly, I can wipe up excess glue squeeze-out and leave no indication of "glue lines" anywhere because the urethane allows for a TOTAL glue clean-up....I use tite-bond types of wood glues. 

• Like 1